Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarshVardhanDewari
Contributor
Contributor

Weird unexpected characters in column names while extracting data from Redshift table into QlikView Script

Hi Team,

This is the context of my problem.

I have to write the script in the QlikView environment only my client wants to use QlikSense only for the visualization purpose and QlikView for transformation purpose.

While writing the script in QlikView I need to connect to the database that is hosted in Amazon Redshift.

for this I had installed the Driver(AmazonedshiftODBC64 2.0.0.9) and setup a user DSN. I have tested the connection successfully.

Now using the select option in the QlikView, I am writing the query for the required tables and column (here all the column names are fine). [ERROR] but when I load the script some of the column names are getting modified with additional characters towards the end. Please note the following:

• The issue is not reproducible, sometimes the queries are working fine and sometimes causing issue.
  • even the column causing issue are not same all the time.
  • the column names that are modified are also different every time. for example, if the column name is Account_id, sometimes it is getting modified as "Account_idril;Mar;Jun" or "Account_id investigat" or "Account_id(some foreign characters, probably Chinese or Japanese)" etc
  • While using the selection option of QlikView for querying the table, the column names shown are correct in the script tab but when I switch to preview tab, few column names are weird.
  • Issue is only being caused in the column names, the data in those columns is as expected.

I have tried the following:

• Using aliases in the SQL script, the alias is working but still the characters are there. for example is if  "Account_id" was getting modified to "Account_idril;Mar;Jun", and I use "Account_id" as "a123" the column is being read as "a123ril;Mar;Jun"
  • I have tried aliasing in preceding load, but it does not work throwing the error "Account_id" does not exist (as now it has additional characters in the column name"
  • I have tried aliasing with SQL SELECT @1 as "Account_id" but it is still generating modified column name like  "Account_idril;Mar;Jun"
  • I have tried exporting the Redshift table to a csv using dbeaver, there was no issue in the column names there

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Harsh

Labels (2)
2 Replies
daniel_osborne2
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @HarshVardhanDewari ,

Did you find a resolution to this issue? I am facing the same issue now.

Thanks

Digvijay_Singh

Can you share sample script throwing this error? I don't have a qlikview to try it but was curious to have a look and probably would help others to identify any issue..