Skip to main content
Announcements
Document boards are being consolidated, this board no longer allows NEW documents READ MORE

QlikView Maps

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juampe
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

QlikView Maps

Last Update:

Sep 21, 2022 5:11:51 PM

Updated By:

Sue_Macaluso

Created date:

Sep 10, 2018 4:46:17 AM

Hi all!

As consultant  I´ve done several Dashboards using QlikView and in most of them I don´t have the need to incorporate maps, but if at least once you´ve tried to create a maps using just only the tools that are incorporated with the developer license (no extensions allow) you might realize that the layout is not so fancy so..... that’s why I am here to share with you how to create maps with more visual impact  in 4 simple Steps.

Tools/skills that we will need:

• QlikView
  • Photoshop (or similar software)  Most of you just figure out what’s going on after read this
  • Patience (it takes time but is not difficult)

Captura2.PNG   

STEPS

process.png

Determinate/think the regions that you are going to need/implement

flat-world-map (1).png

Find a map (preferable in png format or vector) for the regions that you need. Examples:

1. http://pngimg.com/imgs/miscellaneous/world_map/
          2. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:World_map_blank_without_borders.svg

user (1).png

Use your skills in Photoshop (don’t be afraid if it´s your first time)

1. Cut the images in small sections
          2. Change the colors of each piece of map, why?
            • Show more information for each region
            • Create alerts/warnings (using the Green Amber Red colors)
            • Our brain process better/faster images with colors that numbers (maybe its associative logic like Qlik J)
            • Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9fwiNyDHLI

solution.png

Take time and patience to configure each section of the map

• Load all the images using the famous sentence “Bundle LOAD”
            • Create a Text Object
            • Configure the text Object. Remember that I´ve said that I am using thresholds to show the regions in the different colors depending the KPI value so that`s why I have this conditional sentences in the “text field”.

Don’t forget to select “Image” in the presentation field !

Text_Object.PNG

TIPS

• Tip: if you have to show regions too small and too close you should use the different layer positions in order to put front or back the images

Text_Object2.PNG

• I also add some triggers in each region in order to “Click” them and select the KPIs related to the selected region

Text_Object3.PNG

FINAL VIEW

So the final layout for this project looks liek this. I have more tabrows (dependeing the selected region)

Captura4.PNG

**********************************************************************

I hope you could find this article useful, to be honest using this method has some issues:

• You can`t zoom in the images (the images are static)
      • Takes time and patience to configure all the images and join them untile you get the whole map but I think is a good alternative to the traditional and old fashion maps.

So check the pros and cos and decide if it is worth it!

I´ve tried Geoanalytics for QlikSense and is a beast with incredible capabilities and functionalities, 100% recommendable but for those who are still using QlikView I think might work as good as other alternatives

Any comment will be welcome, the main idea is to improve and share our skills together

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2022-09-21 05:11 PM
Updated by: