Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michedge
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Data connection usage monitoring for personal applications

Good morning,
i'm looking for 2 informations regarding Qlik logs usage:
1. I would like to look for information about connection usage by single users and in particular i would like to know which user uses a specific data connection for personal applications in work area. My goal is to monitor the access to specific QVDs and monitor also administrators access to a specific data connection. Is it possible? If yes, how? 
2. Moreover i would like to monitor security rules changes in logs. Is it possible to monitor security rules changes using logs/monitoring apps? 

Best Regards

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheLazyDeveloper

1. Yes, ops monitor will tell you when an app is duplicated, exported, or deleted

2. yes the data connection monitor app will provide those details. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
TheLazyDeveloper

Are you wanting this for Qlik Sense on-prem or Cloud?

michedge
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Good evening,

thanks for your support: we need this informations for Qlik Sense on-prem.

Best Regards

TheLazyDeveloper

1. You can use the data connection analyzer monitoring app to get information on which apps are using which data connections. Data Connection Analyzer App 

2. The Daily operations monitor app has a sheet called QMC Change Log that tracks any changes made to security rules. 

michedge
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi,

according to what can be seen i can view also connection used in application and then have been deleted? 

I have it already installed in PROD but not in TEST so i cannot make specific tests on my own. 

Thanks for you help.

Best Regards

TheLazyDeveloper

The app has a flag field that will tell you if a qlik app is using a connection that does not exists in the QMC:

Count({<"DataConnectionOnlyExistsInScript"={'True'}>}DISTINCT DataConnectionName)

michedge
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi,

thanks again: our problem is different.

We need to track if a admin tries intentionally to access data he should not.

So my goal is to monitor if a qlik content admin duplicate an application, removed the section access and started the reload.

I saw there is a chart in Data Connection Analyzer App  called: 

='Connections that have been used, but the Apps have since been Deleted: ' & Count({<"DataConnectionHasBeenUsedButApp(s)Deleted"={'True'}>} DISTINCT DataConnectionID)

The sheet is "unused connection analysis"

I would like to know if it monitors reload of personal app using data connection with apps in the work area that are later been deleted. 

Does it helps? 

In production it's empty so i cannot see examples. 

Best Regards

TheLazyDeveloper

10-4, You'll want to use the ops monitor. The 'QMC Change Log' sheet will tell you when a user duplicates or exports an app. As for personal apps, you can scrape the script logs daily and filter for data connections used. I'm thinking you can check when a user duplicates an app and grab the app ID and then loop through your script logs for the specific ID to show you what data they were pulling. 

Ops Monitor Link S/O to the admin playbook 

michedge
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Ok, so just to recap what you provided till now:
1. We can monitor app duplications
2. We can monitor connection usage. Is it true also if the app is then deleted? 

Best regards

TheLazyDeveloper

1. Yes, ops monitor will tell you when an app is duplicated, exported, or deleted

2. yes the data connection monitor app will provide those details.