Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Annotate Chart Data Points

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Annotate Chart Data Points

The wonderful Rob Wunderlich provides an excellent way to annotate QlikView charts with event related data in his post at https://qlikviewcookbook.com/list-recipes/#squelch-taas-accordion-shortcode-content-40 - kudos as always !

The detailed steps are not available in Sense charts.

A wizard-driven feature in Qlik Sense to achieve a generic solution would be a value add. So many date based charts would gain value from a simple mechanism to overlay the chart and its data points with event annotations. Imagine a sales bar chart getting enhanced with key marketing campaign data labels, HR salary chart getting enhanced with key recruitment events, a financial chart getting enhanced with key economic events, etc etc. So many use cases.

Finally if provided via a wizard entry this opens up Sense for business analysts to really help drive more collaboration and value-add adoption of the product. Charts by themselves do not always answer the "why" question.

Longer term, future dated events still to happen could maybe integrate with Ping alerting.

5 Comments
WiscoSippi
Creator
Creator

My post, linked below, is a dumb down version of this post. I like your idea better! We frequently have time based that are critical for shifting perspective when analyzing data. Overlaying those events would be very helpful!

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Sense-Ideas/Reference-Line-Dynamic-Labels/idi-p/1656177 

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Thanks for the note. Whilst the reference line idea still has value it would still be a single one. I was envisaging what Rob provided for QV which was a multi-point/value solution "overlay". There are numerous example images on Google for bar and line chart examples. The key thing for Qlik is that this really has to be easy and intuitive for casual business users to use ! And of course taking it further, also integrated with Sense stories, bookmarks and even NPrinting.

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this is something we understand would be useful, it's not on the short-term roadmap. Please continue to show your support for this idea.

Thanks,

Patric

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

After seeing @Patric_Nordstrom demonstrate dimension reference lines today that may be the solution. Also fingers crossed it is available in QSEoW as well as SaaS. I cannot wait to try it out - so this Idea post may become "redundant"......

Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Delivered as of September 2020 release, QSEoW and SaaS.

Status changed to: Delivered