Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
This page is no longer in use. To suggest an idea, please visit Browse and Suggest.

Create task chains in Qlik Sense SaaS

FranciscoQ
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Create task chains in Qlik Sense SaaS

Hi, in my company we started working with Qlik Sense SaaS. We have worked with Qlikview and Qlik Sense Enterprise before.

When we develop an application, we don't just throw all the information from the original source to the application.

We develop apps in different stages. First apps that do ETL, they read data from the original source and DB, and store tables in qvds.

Then we read those qvds, with other apps and transform them, with joins, mapping loads, etc, etc....

And generate the qvds with the information ready to be used in visualizations. So at the end, the final app, let's say Sales, will read the qvds with the info already transformed, and we will develop dashboards, visualizations, etc, etc. 

We use data extracts applications and data model generation applications, which is a very common methodology to develop big BI projects.

So, it is extremely important in order to have the app info updated every day, to be able to reload all the previous apps before in a specific order.

RAW DATA qvds--> TRANSFORMED qvds --> FINAL APP

Now we can expand this to multiple apps.

In Qlik Sense Enterprise, we can create reload task chains from the QMC  in "tasks". So we can schedule a reload to start a certain hour everyday and then each app reload completed will be triggering the next reloads until the final app is reloaded. There were no limits of time or anything.

In Qlik Sense SaaS, I know that this functionality is offered with Qlik Automations, the BIG problem is that automations can only run for one hour, and in a big BI Project, with big apps with a really big amount of data, the whole task chain can take more than one hour..

I know you can call an automation from one automation to another, and I read this article:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge/How-to-build-long-running-task-chains-in-Qlik-Application/ta...

It says that you can have your automation starting every 5 minutes to see if the apps listed as a chain in a google sheet, are completely reloaded or not.. but this option is not user friendly at all, and also it will have your automation running a lot of times every day, so you will run out of the 5,000 automations /month limit...

It would be great to have the option to create long task chains in Qlik Sense SaaS, as it exists in Qlik Sense Enterprise or Qlikview, without having to create some complex automations.

Regards,

Francisco.

2 Comments
Meghann_MacDonald

Hi @FranciscoQ , I believe it is on roadmap for App Automation to extend from 1 hr to 4 hrs and to be released soon!

Meghann

Status changed to: Open - In Development
PietMichielRappelet
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi 

We've extended the max run time to 4hours beginning of May.
Please let us know if this is sufficient for your use case. 

Kind regards, 

Piet-Michiel Rappelet
Product Manager Qlik Application Automation. 

Status changed to: Delivered