Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

ODAG accept direct variable values instead of only field selections

PabloLabbeImaps
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

ODAG accept direct variable values instead of only field selections

Actually ODAG requires field values to be selected in the main app and those values are used to apply a filter in the script of the template app. 

When working with small dimensions it´s ok , but I have some use cases with fields with millions of unique values (personal ID). Searching on a field with a million of ids is quite slow s and user need to pick only one to start to generate the on demand app with detailed information related to the id selected.

My requirement is to provide a user with a variable input box in the main app to enter the personal id. With personal id stored in a variable it could be used as a parameter for the ODAG template.

The great advantage here is there is no need to load a field with millions of unique values in-memory, just an app with an input box and maybe other fields but with few unique values.

Does it make sense ?

Tags (2)
6 Comments
Or
MVP
MVP

Makes sense to me. A second use case would be to run ODAG in near-real-time or even real time scenarios by allowing users to type the desired value to pass to a query, even if that value does not exist in the selection app yet.

Ian_Crosland
Employee
Employee

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
kuba_michalik1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Makes all kinds of sense.

Validation would probably have to be adjusted to work well with it - currently, it's very much tailored for counting records, maybe instead it could just evaluate arbitrary expression to boolean, and provide a custom message if the condition is not met (sure, you can still provide arbitrary expression that evaluates to 1 if condition met and 2 if condition not met, and set 1 as the "record count limit", but that is a rather kludgey workaround)

IVAN-FELIPE
Employee
Employee

Hi. I do have exactly the same use case... and others, that could be achieved passing variables through ODAG, not field values.

- A company that manage millions of customers and need to get a specific detail of one of them. Can't use a filter with 20 million users

- GeoCoding in runtime is not available in CM, if you need that you'll need to use dynamic view or odag. But could not solve some cases, i.e. we need to type an address and get the position and travel areas in the map. Won't have previously all the possible address in the data model, we will need to type it in a variable and use DV to pass that value

Regards

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived