Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. READ MORE

Variable default value only applied when opening the application

Henri_Rufin
Luminary
Luminary

Variable default value only applied when opening the application

When the task manager triggers a reload, variables within the app are set back to their default value. While this is no problem in most applications, this can be a problem in certain situations like when business users trigger multiple reloads (ex : in a planning application).  Each reload resets the variables to their default value which impairs the analysis. In this situation it would be useful to apply the default value only when opening the app and then keep the variable value selected when a reload is triggered with the app already open. 

4 Comments
Patric_Nordstrom
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your feedback on ways to improve our product. While this is something we understand would be useful, it's not on the short-term roadmap but we hope to improve persistence of variables during reload during 2021. Please continue to show your support for this idea.

Thanks,
Patric

Status changed to: Open - Collecting Feedback
Henri_Rufin
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Patric,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess this issue might not affect many customers since most BI applications are reloaded on a regular basis. But writeback extensions are making their way into customers’ environnement. So maybe in the futur many customers will face the same issue. This issue really bothers me with planning applications since application reloads are triggers every time someone updates his forecast. I found a workaround by using island tables in the data model instead of variables but you will agree this isn’t the best solution. It would be a shame to avoid using variables just because of this.

Since we are talking about variables, I guess we could bring together several ideas mentioned on this platform like the ability to sort variables, flag unused variables and of course add a simple option to choose the reload behavior (update / leave)

Meghann_MacDonald

From now on, please track this idea from the Ideation portal. 

Link to new idea

Meghann

NOTE: Upon clicking this link 2 tabs may open - please feel free to close the one with a login page. If you only see 1 tab with the login page, please try clicking this link first: Authenticate me! then try the link above again. Ensure pop-up blocker is off.

Ideation
Explorer II
Explorer II

Status changed to: Closed - Archived