Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Variables

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Variables

1. Add a sort ascending/descending capability to the Sense Overview.

2. Add search capability to the same.

3. Fix the dreadful - click Edit to save - really !? Edit means edit not save.

4. Flag which variables created in script editor were done with SET or LET.

5. Flag which variables are used in the app with a simple Y/N flag icon.

36 Comments
greg-anderson
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

As someone who makes extensive use of variables, including a collection of 'system' variables living in a central location, I cannot applaud the idea of #5 enough in both Sense and View.

Variable management is ripe for improvement, though I understand that 'new and improved handling of variables' probably isn't going to close any additional sales.

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Sales are not always the primary consideration imo 😉

Tool adoption and negative aspects highlighted during training and presales demos are equally important imo.

When Nebula and open source access to Sense visualisations arrives maybe Qlik can let the developer community gain access to not just core visualisations but also the code behind the Sense desktop and enterprise client portal ?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

A better variable overview in Qlik Sense is long overdue, in my opinion. What we currently have is a joke.

In addition to the suggested features (all great ideas!), Id' suggest:

- Mass search/replace of text within the variables

- Mass delete of Variables

- Mass Export into a text file - invaluable for a very common task of externalizing expressions stored in variables

- Simple "where used" information - not just a flag, but a list of objects that use the variable. 

juraj_misina
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Search and replace within variables, oh my! I'd by quite a few drinks to a developer who would implement this.

WiscoSippi
Creator
Creator

Variable management is my single biggest developer pain point right now. The ability to import & export variables and their contents would be huge as would search. Separating script load variables versus created in-app would be nice too.

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Thanks for all the value-adds. So how can we as a group ( especially luminaries ) get basic requirements in front of Qlik R&D, and then have a discussion on the why - for prioritization ?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

So, what had happened with the previous wish list of requirements? I recall some great collaboration and prioritization. Was is presented to Qlik R&D in any shape or form? 

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I beleive someone in the group did so at Qonnections. This topic came up in Lund - the channel between luminaries and R&D needs reviewed, and hopefully formalized. @GillianFarquhar any ideas on this ? HiC is visiting Scotland in a few weeks. Brian, myself and George can discuss this with him and update via Qommunity ?

GillianFarquhar
Former Employee
Former Employee

Qlik will be launching an official Ideation capability that will open up the discussion from the user community to R&D directly through Qlik Community. The plan is early 2020.

I think that may be the most scalable way to address official feedback to R&D.

I am open to ideas but it needs to be something that is governed and not too taxing from an administrative perspective. 

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Sounds a really positive move. I guess any such channel requires moderation. Out in the world contributions may be technically impossible, add no value or even worse could be intended to have malicious intent ! Can luminaries be a moderator ? Or if not, van we get advance view of this facility and maybe give advice before it goes public ? Thank you !