9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2016 3:40 PM by Stefan Wühl RSS

Dynamically LOAD data, somehow LOAD disturbs the process

Vincent Van der Sanden

I am very new to Qlik Sense but I am trying to get the hang of it. I might be making a very fundamental mistake but I need help advice.

The following script reads a DataList with filenames, and I would like to loop through this table with the peek function and load all the data  in one big table. I created a test loop and it seems fine, though when I enable the LOAD part (there where i=0) something goes wrong. Because the second loop all parameters seem to be empty. Strangely enough this only happens when this LOAD part is enabled.

I resubmitted my answers to 'new to qliksense' because this is most likely a beginners mistake.

What am I doing wrong???

trace ## Loading DataList;

DataList:
          LOAD
              FactsetFileNameField,
              DatumTypeField,
              AccountField,
              BenchmarkWeightingSchemeField
          FROM [lib://QLIKXLSX/GM FAC Table.xlsx]
          (ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

trace ## define tabelnaam;

Let nameOfTable = 'DataList';

for i = 0 to (30-1) step 1

trace ## reading the data list number $(i);
          trace name of tabel: $(nameOfTable);

trace get parameters from the datatable;

Let FactsetFileName_field = Peek('FactsetFileNameField', $(i), $(nameOfTable));
          Let DatumType_field = Peek('DatumTypeField', $(i), $(nameOfTable));
          Let Account_field = Peek('AccountField', $(i), $(nameOfTable));
          Let BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field = Peek('BenchmarkWeightingSchemeField', $(i), $(nameOfTable));

trace ## starting the if statement;

if i=0 then

Trace Processing... $(FactsetFileName_field);
            Trace Processing... $(DatumType_field);
            Trace Processing... $(Account_field);
            Trace Processing... $(BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field);

//        [Data]:
      //        noConcatenate LOAD '$(DatumType_field)' as DatumType, '$(Account_field)' as Account, '$(BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field)' as BenchmarkWeightingScheme,*   
      //        FROM [lib://Factset/$(FactsetFileName_field)]
      //        (biff, embedded labels, header is 5 lines, table is @1);

elseif i>0 then  

Trace Processing... $(FactsetFileName_field);

//         Concatenate(Data)
      //        LOAD '$(DatumType_field)' as DatumType, '$(Account_field)' as Account, '$(BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field)' as BenchmarkWeightingScheme,*   
      //        FROM [lib://Factset/$(FactsetFileName_field)]
      //        (biff, embedded labels, header is 5 lines, table is @1);
         end if

//     exit script;

next i

• Re: Dynamically LOAD data, somehow LOAD disturbs the process
          Stefan Wühl

I believe Qlik will read something like

'$(vVar)' AS FIELD

as assigning the expanded variable as constant value to the field record, not using the expanded value as field name reference. Hence remove the single quotes and use [ ] instead:

[Data]:

noConcatenate

LOAD [$(DatumType_field)] as DatumType,

[$(Account_field)] as Account,

[$(BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field)] as BenchmarkWeightingScheme,

FROM [lib://Factset/$(FactsetFileName_field)]

(biff, embedded labels, header is 5 lines, table is @1);

Same for your second load.

Vincent Van der Sanden

Thank you for your answer, I changed it to::

[Data]:

noConcatenate LOAD [$(DatumType_field)] as DatumType, [$(Account_field)] as Account, [$(BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field)] as BenchmarkWeightingScheme,*   

FROM [lib://Factset/$(FactsetFileName_field)]

It does fundamentally change the code when I change this but it's still somehow not working. I get the following error:

The following error occurred:

Field not found - <Period1_Period2>

The error occurred here:

[Data]:
                      noConcatenate LOAD [Period1_Period2] as DatumType, [Accountname1] as Account, [Benchmark1] as BenchmarkWeightingScheme,*   
                      FROM [lib://Factset/QLIK_COMPOSITECGFGMFAC_MSCIAllCountryWorld_1Q_0Q.XLS]
                      (biff, embedded labels, header is 5 lines, table is @1)

It somehow includes the brackets which should not be included? Is there a different way to do this? Could I put the 'PEEK' in the LOAD script instead? Do I need to use the LET ?

Somehow people always use a LET and then a TRACE with the parameter in the LET to be shown in the TRACE.

Why doesn't anyone combine both in 1 statement?

Stefan Wühl

Is there a field called Period1_Period2 in the table you are loading

lib://Factset/QLIK_COMPOSITECGFGMFAC_MSCIAllCountryWorld_1Q_0Q.XLS ?

Vincent Van der Sanden

Yes there is. That field doesn't make a lot of sense but I didn't want to disclose the 'real' information I used in this project.

Vincent Van der Sanden

I am getting the idea that the underscores in the variablenames somehow disturb the process. The filename also contains underscores. Could data within those fields disturb the process?

Stefan Wühl

The variable expansion seems correct to me.

If you create a LOAD statement for this table mentioned above using the wizard, how does the scipt statement looks like (I am assuming the table then loads correctly)?

Vincent Van der Sanden

Eventually I played with the debugger and I created a new app called FILE_LOADER.

This app had the same problems but I removed all comments and totally cleaned it up and after changing the [Data] section it suddenly worked! Thank you a lot swuehl for pointing out to this part of my code.

Instead of [] on the left part (expanded variable) I added '' to the right part (columnname) as shown in the code below. Somehow I want to have one extra column that describes the 'source' of the data which can be used in the application as a filter.

[Data]:

noConcatenate LOAD '$(DatumType_field)' as 'DatumType', '$(Account_field)' as 'Account', '$(BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field)' as 'BenchmarkWeightingScheme',*

FROM 'lib://QLIKXLSX/$(FileName_field)'

Maybe to help others, I will pate the entire code (that works) below. swuehl can I give you points for pointing me in the right direction? It did save me a lot of headache!

SET ThousandSep=',';
                                  SET DecimalSep='.';
                                  SET MoneyThousandSep=',';
                                  SET MoneyDecimalSep='.';
                                  SET MoneyFormat='$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)';
                                  SET TimeFormat='h:mm:ss TT';
                                  SET DateFormat='M/D/YYYY';
                                  SET TimestampFormat='M/D/YYYY h:mm:ss[.fff] TT';
                                  SET MonthNames='Jan;Feb;Mar;Apr;May;Jun;Jul;Aug;Sep;Oct;Nov;Dec';
                                  SET DayNames='Mon;Tue;Wed;Thu;Fri;Sat;Sun';
                                  SET LongMonthNames='January;February;March;April;May;June;July;August;September;October;November;December';
                                  SET LongDayNames='Monday;Tuesday;Wednesday;Thursday;Friday;Saturday;Sunday';
                                  SET FirstWeekDay=6;
                                  SET BrokenWeeks=1;
                                  SET ReferenceDay=0;
                                  SET FirstMonthOfYear=1;
                                  SET CollationLocale='en-US';

Trace #### Start ####;

trace ## Loading DataList;

ListOfFiles:
                                  LOAD FactsetFileNameField, DatumTypeField, AccountField, BenchmarkWeightingSchemeField
                                  FROM [lib://QLIKXLSX/FileList.xlsx]
                                  (ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

// define nameOfField, which can be used for later reference
                                  Let nameOfTable = 'ListOfFiles';

trace ## start the for loop;

for i = 0 to (noofrows('$(nameOfTable)')-1) step 1
                                  //for i = 0 to (5) step 1
                                      trace ## reading the data list number $(i); //read DataList information
                                      trace name of tabel: $(nameOfTable); //give the table a name. This makes it easier to point to this table in a later stage.
                                      trace get parameters from the datatable;

Let FileName_field = Peek('FactsetFileNameField', $(i), '$(nameOfTable)'); //read row i from the 'data' part of the table with filenames
                                      Let DatumType_field = Peek('DatumTypeField', $(i), '$(nameOfTable)');
                                      Let Account_field = Peek('AccountField', $(i), '$(nameOfTable)');
                                      Let BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field = Peek('BenchmarkWeightingSchemeField', $(i), '$(nameOfTable)');

trace ## starting the if statement;

Trace Processing... $(FileName_field);

if i=0 then

[Data]:
                                           noConcatenate LOAD '$(DatumType_field)' as 'DatumType', '$(Account_field)' as 'Account', '$(BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field)' as 'BenchmarkWeightingScheme',*

elseif i>0 then

Concatenate(Data)
                                        LOAD '$(DatumType_field)' as 'DatumType', '$(Account_field)' as 'Account', '$(BenchmarkWeightingScheme_field)' as 'BenchmarkWeightingScheme',*   
                                     end if

next i

exit script;