23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2016 3:18 PM by Kent Shook RSS

    Error while assigning Named CAL

    Anosh Nathaniel

      Hi All,

       

      I am getting error (Screen Shot attached) "

      EntLicenses.Properties.CalInfo.AssignedList.AddAssignedUsers" while assigning Named CAL to users. We are using Qlikview web server and not IIS server and Qlikview 11 server.

       

       

      Thanks in Advance,

      Anosh Nathaniel

        • Error while assigning Named CAL
          Miguel Angel Baeyens de Arce

          Hi Anosh,

           

          Check in the QMC that the Directories are properly configured (there are no red asterisk on the fields). Are you using Windows Active Directory or any other security directory? Are you able to search for users successfully in the Users tab of the QMC?

           

          Hope that helps.

           

          Miguel

          • Re: Error while assigning Named CAL
            Vegar Lie Arntsen

            @anoshnathaniel: If you did solve this issue I'm interested hearing about it.

             

            I have no problem searching for users, but if I try clicking the "manage users" icon on the "Assign CALs"-tab I get the same error message as you did.

             

             

            Best regards

            Vegar Lie Arntsen

            • Re: Error while assigning Named CAL

              hello. We are experiencing the same issue. The issue started happening for us right after we upgraded from Qlikview 11 sr1 to sr2. We have reinstalled qlikview and regenerated our PGO files manually adding 80 users back.. only to see the problem reoccur - dissapear the next day - and then reoccur a week later. Something is going on and we cannot keep regenerating our PGO files with 70 named cals. I am concerned now that I see others are recently having the same problem

              • Re: Error while assigning Named CAL

                I will update this incase it helps anyone in the future.

                 

                After enabling the xml output of the pgo files and viewing the BorrowedCalData.pgo.xml there was a user containing unfriendly characters (blocks etc) inplace of where the users Machine ID/UUID would be stored. Our issue looks to be the result of corrupt WMI - Windows Management Instrumentation database on the users PC. I wrote some simple scripts to confirm this. The user can log in and get a normal UUID from another pc. The user is on XP and is due for a replacement, although this issue could occur on any PC/OS with a corrupt WMI..

                 

                This explains why the issue whent away after clearing out the PGO and occured nightly (after the user logged back in and their cal info was added to the borrowed cal file. It also explains why the issue whent away for a while (user was on vacation - borrowed cal expired??) and then came back. The bad characters seem to cause management console to bomb out when parsing the pgo/xml document.

                 

                I have suggested to Qliktech that they implement some error handling for this situation so that those unfriendly characters never reach the pgo/xml document.

                • Re: Error while assigning Named CAL
                  Abey Chandy

                  Hi,

                   

                  I understand this is an old thread, but posting this here because this might help someone later.

                  I got same error as Anosh some time back, giving details on how it was sorted:

                   

                  Problem:

                  On QMC, the Assigned CALs tab went blank all of a sudden.

                  Clicking on Manage Users gave the error Anosh has mentioned

                  The General tab was showing all the available CALs were assigned

                  There were no change / restart on the server

                   

                  How it was sorted:

                  I read in 2-3 threads that Qlikview Directory service was related to this issue.

                  Checked Qlikview Directory service, it showed it was up and running. However, ignored that status and I tried restarting it. At first attempt, the service did not respond, got a message the service cannot receive any control messages. After sometime, restart went through fine and the CAL listing was back.

                   

                  I didn't find a mention of restarting QDS anywhere - so this is worth a try before trying the other complex options.

                   

                  Maybe it may not work, but worth a try.

                   

                  Regards,

                  Abey

                  • Re: Error while assigning Named CAL
                    Kent Shook

                    I just had this occur too - I'm migrating a client to new servers and had a transitional license with 5 User CALs originally, far below what their server is on. While working on other things, I got a new license with the same number of CALs they have on their existing server. However, with the other things going on, I had forgotten that I hadn't yet applied the license.

                     

                    So, I added eight users to a server still licensed for 5. When the last three users disappeared (twice), I realized my error and updated the license, but most of the user functions stopped working in the QMC and I got this error.

                     

                    Luckily, the solution turned out to be simple. I clicked "Clear License" on the QlikView Server license, re-applied the new license, and it started working again. I had to re-assign the CALs but that was relatively trivial.