Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denwo2010
Creator
Creator

Prevent Document refreshing - v11 sr2

Hi,

How do I prevent a document from refreshing.

For example I have the qvw document open in Access Point and I have made various filter selections and zoomed the page to a specific size, when the Document is scheduled to run at a certain time and has now new data when I make another filter it will remove all the filter and resize the screen to its original format.

I know there are settings on the Document Properties under "Server" tab but not sure which one prevents this from happening as I tried numerous different refresh modes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I would go with this one... 

Client initiates refresh.  If old data not kept in server or client too old, session will be disconnected.  For the second setting, I would set it to this:  Indicate with toolbar button. 

The last thing is to go into the QVS Server settings and make sure that you can have more than one document in memory.  This setting is in the Server Set up part of the QMC.  The checkbox is likely checked to "Allow Only One Copy of Document in Memory".  Uncheck that box.  Now, with all this set, make sure to log out of Access Point, and then back in and test it out.  It is possible that the last time you tried this, you missed this server setting. 

What this will do, or rather should do, is allow you to work, and then if you want to refresh, click a button.  Otherwise, i'm assuming it will refresh when you close the document in AP. 

Good luck.  Let me know if you have any more questions, and let me know how it goes.

Nate

View solution in original post

16 Replies
hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Can you save your work as a Bookmark?  I would give that a try...

Nate

denwo2010
Creator
Creator
Author

The selections I'm making are not even worthy to Bookmark there ust random filters I'm making on the fly.

Its just annoying that every 2 minutes or so so the filters keep getting removed whenever I add a new filter, as Document has loaded again.

Thanks

jeffmartins
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi denwo2010,

Check the box "Allow Creation of Server Objects" on QMC -> Documents tab ->  choose your document in the treeview -> server tab -> server objects.

See the attached file.

Regards

hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I think what you are looking for is in the Document, in Settings => Document Properties => Server tab... you want to adjust the settings that is "Refresh Mode When Document is Updated on Server" or Client Refresh Initiation Mode".  I don't recall which to alter, or how to set it, but I think that is what you are looking for.

Sorry I can't be more help, maybe someone else can chime in....

denwo2010
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Jeff,

Not sure how this will help me? I think this server objects is to do with prevening users from adding sheets, objects etc..?

Thanks

denwo2010
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Nate,

Yes I know where you have to go just don't which one to pick, I think I have tried all them and none of them seem to work.

Thanks

jeffmartins
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi denwo2010,

"Allow Creation of Server Objects" option allows user to create bookmarks with their filters and avoid users filters to be removed.

You can avoid users from adding sheets, on document properties at security tab.

Regards

hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

This is the information I was looking for.  Take a read and let me know if it is helpful at all.  Remember that you will need to completely log out of Access Point, and then log in again for the Document changes to take affect.  This is in reference to the Document Settings, under the Settings dropdown in the toolbar....

On this tab define certain aspects of the document's behavior when run on a QlikView Server.

Refresh Mode when Document is Updated on Server

This setting defines how an updated document on the QlikView Server will be handled.

Client initiates refresh.

If old data not kept in

server or client too old,

session will be disconnected:.

Choose this option if the server should never initiate a refresh of data in the

client automatically. When a new version of the document becomes available

on the server, the client will be offered to refresh according to the preferences

set under Client Refresh Initiation Mode below. If this is not possible, either

because the client is too old (pre version 😎 or if the server is set with Allow

only one copy of document in memory enabled in the QlikView Server control

panel, the session will simply be terminated.

Client initiates refresh.

If old data not kept in

server or client too old,

refresh will be performed

automatically:

Choose this option if it is preferred to let the client initiate a refresh of data in

the client when possible but will allow server to initiate a refresh automatically

if necessary. When a new version of the document becomes available

on the server, the client will be offered to refresh according to the preferences

set under Client Refresh Initiation Mode below. If this is not possible, either

because the client is too old (pre version 😎 or if the server is set with Allow

only one copy of document in memory enabled in the QlikView Server control

panel, the refresh will be performed automatically by the server.

Server performs

refresh automatically,

without client action:

This is the option to choose if you prefer to always let the server initiate a

refresh of data in the client automatically. When a new version of the document

becomes available on the server, the data in the client will be refreshed.

Client Refresh Initiation Mode

This setting defines how the client should be notified of the availability of new data on the server and initiate

a refresh. This setting is only valid when client initiated refresh has been selected in Refresh Mode

when Document is Updated on Server (see above).

Indicate with toolbar

button:

The availability of new data is indicated by the Refresh button in the toolbar

turning green and being enabled (and the corresponding File menu command

being enabled). The refresh is performed at a time of the user's choice by clicking

on the toolbar button or by means of the File menu Refresh command.

Prompt with dialog In addition to the Refresh button in the toolbar turning green, the availability

of new data will be indicated by a prompt dialog. In the dialog the user may

choose between immediate refresh or wait, in which case the refresh can be performed

at any later time of the user's choice by clicking on the toolbar button

or by means of the File menu Refresh command.

Just do it but tell the

user it is happening:

The refresh will be initiated as soon as the server indicates that new data is

available. A dialog will be shown to indicate that the refresh is taking place.

Just do it:

The refresh will be initiated as soon as the server indicates that new data is

available. No dialog will be shown to indicate that the refresh is taking place.

The user will experience a document "freeze" lasting from fractions of a second

up to minutes depending on server settings and size of document.

denwo2010
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Nate, so based on the above which settings do you suggest that will help me with the issue I'm having?