Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Reg:What are optimization techniques available in QlikView?

Hi All,

Wishes from Jai.I have developed one QVW i n material costing.The size of the application about 66929KB.So I would like

to reduce the file size as well as improve the performance.Since I am new to the optimization techniques I dont have much knowladge

about it.So let me know in which ways,how can I improve the performance of the application?What are the optimization techniques available.

Note:

I am linking the tables using 'KEY' fields.So there is no synthetic keys avilable.

Thanks & Regards

Jai

12 Replies
spsrk_84
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Jai,

Did u created the Qvd's ? if not create the qvd's from the data and use qvd files for your analysis,but this process is bit time consuming since at first u need to store raw data into qvd and then u need to fetch these qvd's into Another Qvw application for your analysis..

When u convert/store the raw data from database into qvd format the original data will be compressed up to 90%,this is the advantage...

Second thing dont perform the calculations in the GUI ie. do not write complex expressions in any chart or pivot tables try to perform or try to elminate the calculations in the front end and do them in the script level itself

Third thing like if u r using any if statements in the expressions of charts try to elminate them,instead of that u generate a flag indicator i.e

example if u want to count the no of employess with Sal >10K then do this in the script like

if(sal> 10K,1,0) as Empcount

and when u use this in the expression inthe chart u can use like just sum(EmpCount) which will gives the correct result

Apart from the above listed there are few other techniques ike

Elminate Synthetic keys in the Data Cloud.....

Regards,

Ajay

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jai,

In addition to that, using set analysis and removing unused fields from the application is also would improve the performance of the application

- Peterson

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ajay,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.As per your instruction almost I have implemented all the things.Lik

1.I am using QVD Files only.I am pulling data from QVD.There is one settlement table is available which is having 36lakhs rows of data.So totally I am handling almost 70 Lakhs of data.

2.I am using calculation on Object level.But fields were coming from different tables. So I cant write calculation on back end as you mentioned making flag.If it is possible let me know how to handle this.

Client saying

Example from BOM comparison:

ItemGroupName accounting for 7mb RAM usage while ItemGroupNames only account for 50 records per DataAreaID. The fields ought to be contained in a small separate table which would use only 6kb of ram

So how can I view item how much taking RAM consumption in application.Is it possible?Let me know

Thanks & Regards

Jai

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ajay,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.As per your instruction almost I have implemented all the things.Lik

1.I am using QVD Files only.I am pulling data from QVD.There is one settlement table is available which is having 36lakhs rows of data.So totally I am handling almost 70 Lakhs of data.

2.I am using calculation on Object level.But fields were coming from different tables. So I cant write calculation on back end as you mentioned making flag.If it is possible let me know how to handle this.

Client saying

Example from BOM comparison:

ItemGroupName accounting for 7mb RAM usage while ItemGroupNames only account for 50 records per DataAreaID. The fields ought to be contained in a small separate table which would use only 6kb of ram

So how can I view item how much taking RAM consumption in application.Is it possible?Let me know

Thanks & Regards

Jai

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your kind reply. As per your instruction I have already Implemented Set analysis in Object level and I have removed unwanted fields.Still its having almost 66MB of file size.So let me know other way of techniques.

Thanks & Regards

Jai

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jai,

Avoiding resident load for larger data set will also improve the performance.

Performance issue..? Can you please explain the problem exactly...?

are you getting the issue at the time of opeing the application or at the time of navgation or any object in your application taking time..?

Can you please post your datamodel here so that it would be easy for us to suggest some solution

- Peterson.

Not applicable
Author

Dear Kevin,

Here with I have attached Data Model.As per client,application is very large about 66MB.And some of Object consuming more amount in RAM.There is no issues with opening and navigating in the application.So issue with size of the application.So let me know the same

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Would it be possible for you to optimize the object i.e. object expression and check the performance.

can you post the expression of the objects which take time to load?

- Peterson

Not applicable
Author

Hi all,

here is an interesting post regarding optimization and QV data structure:

http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/16328/63605.aspx#63605

Participants to this thread are Qlikview masters 😉

Regards

Olivier