Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

What affects the application saving time?

There is an application about 70 MB (compressed).  If I open and save it in QV Desktop, the saving process takes about 40 sec.  An updated version of this application (just some front end changes) takes four minutes to save.

In both cases application is opened (and saved) on a tab that has nothing but one list box.  I don’t expect any calculations at all.  Both applications are compressed (high).  Speaking of compression – I tried to save the “slow” version without compression, usually it helps to reduce save and open time.  Surprisingly, the saving time was almost the same, maybe only 15-20 sec faster.

Any ideas what may affect saving time?

Thank you,

Michael

15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Looks like I've figured out the reason.  Now trying to find a cure.

Reason.

Both versions of application have charts with complex calculations, and the newer version has more of that.  All charts are on the hidden tabs at the time of saving.  That is, before saving the only visible object is a list box (and it is a data island).  By theory, no calculatios should be performed on the charts which are on the inactive tabs, but apparently it doesn't work per theory.  To test, I removed the charts on a hidden tab and saved the file.  It took just 20 sec to save.

Cure.

The first thought was to add calculation conditions to all charts (on top of the fact that tha tabs are hidden).  Charts are (should be) calculated on the same condition as the tab with the charts is visible.  It didn't help a bit.  Only removing the charts makes the difference.

Willing to try any crazy ideas.

Thanks,

Michael

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Does your app have synthetic keys?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The application doesn't have synthetic keys.

In any case, it looks like the data model is not an issue - the front end is.  If I remove several charts, it doesn't change data model, but the saving time is very good.  And, the older version of application has the same data model, the difference is on the front end.

Thanks,

Michael

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Michael,

you just saved my life.

I had a similar issue, which really frustrated me:

I created an app (2 GB qvw size, expanded to ca. 9 GB in memory) with some quite complex charts.

Worked ok for a while, until I noticed that the opening time on server and in the desktop increased to some unbelievable value (some 10 minutes on desktop, stopped the server task after some hours).

The system allocated RAM increased as usual to some 9 GB in short time, but then keep allocating slowly changing (allocating 10-100 kB per sec) with very small CPU usage (single core only). This could go for ages (on the server), also seems to blocking opening / working with other apps.

After desparately searching the release notes (the client still uses 11.0 SR1) and the forum, I came across your post.

Only then I remembered that I also had some charts copied to a hidden tab. After removing the tabs completely, performance turned to be fine again.

Thanks for getting me on the right track, never had thought that hidden tabs would prevent me from opening an application.

Regards,

Stefan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sometimes saving lives is easy...

I'm wondering why it works this way.  Hidden and minimized charts, and charts on other tabs than the active  one(hidden or not) should not be calcualted, according to QlikTech.  Something's changed.

Regards,

Michael

Not applicable
Author

Is there a way to save the META-DATA only (scripts, objects, layouts, variables) without saving the DATA?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael Solomovich and swuehl

I previously had problems in QV desktop with the calculation time and memory usage for hidden objects in an activated sheet.

After raising this to QT, they fixed it in version 11.20 SR4 (bug 62101).

But I didn't check if this was also affecting the saving time.

It could be worth trying to upgrade in case you're using an earlier version, at least hidden objects won't be calculated anymore which has a performance impact in big apps.

Happy New Year !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sure.

Go to File - Reduce Data - Remove All Values.  Save, better as a different file.

Regards,

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jean-Pierre Bakhache,

Yes, it was an older version - 11.20 IR.  Now I have SR5, and saving time is 6 min.  Oh well...

Thank you anyway, Happy New Year!