Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stvegerton
Creator III
Creator III

Nprinting 17. Loading users. Password required? What were they thinking??

So let me get this straight. In order to distribute a Qlik Sense report in NP17, I have to load users into Nprinting AND enter/create a password for all users even though I never want them in Nprinting UI or Newstand??

Please tell me I'm missing something.

15 Replies
stvegerton
Creator III
Creator III
Author

That's the gap. There is no ability to import users from a directory service as there is in Nprinting 16.

You have to perform this hoop jumping excise of creating reports with dummy and real info, creating report tasks, dumping to a folder as xls and importing from an excel document to load users.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

True. That is an gap and i wonder whether it is actualy planned to fill this gap, as i do not see huge benefit of this function implementation.

As directory connectors will not have a ability to maintain user filters, roles, folders, subfolders,  and other user attributes used in NPrinting the use of it comes down to user names, email, credentials and potencial use of groups.

Steve - how would you manage recipient filters with directory service used in NPrinting 16?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
stvegerton
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for the feedback Lech. There's a benefit in having user directory connectors when it comes to managing authentication and authorization for us and I can't believe we're the only ones. Qlikview has a user directory connector, Qlik Sense has a user directory connector, and Nprinting 16 has a user directory connector. All for good reason. When it comes to authorization, I want to leverage AD groups/section access in Qlik Sense and Nprinting 17 to filter what the users should see and which AD email enabled groups receive nprinting distributions. I know there's a work around to deal with this, but think it's ugly and redundant. 

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

I've always seen Sense\View users as a subset of the wider reporting audience which is cattered for by NPriniting style reports.

The issue I have is in my environment users do not want lots of usernames and passwords to keep track of and to access the Newsstand functionality the user needs too.  What they want is seemless access into the Newsstand based on in our case their login to our application.  From there we need a SSO style solution to allow the user into the Newsstand area without having another login to enter.  We have done this with Sense and allowing authorised users with a token into the HUB that way.

brooksc57
Creator
Creator

Hi Andy,

I have same external users issue.

How are you having these external users even get to the Newstand 4994 URL to be able to login ?

thx,

Brooks

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

You can use API to develop a custom importer. There is no an official solution but it is possible to create something like https://github.com/qlik-oss/nprinting-adsync.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.