Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwin
Master II
Master II

How does Qlik Sense dashboard look up the user locale?

Hi,

ive been looking for a way for the dashboard to lookup the browser's locale.  what i am finding are articles how to translate test from one language to another.

even if you have a way to translate words into another language, how will the dashboard knwo which language to translate to?  does the user have to select a language?  shouldnt it be automatic by looking up the user or browser locale?

has anyone encountered this before?

thanks,

edwin

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Hi Edwin,

Qlik Sense uses the browser selected language.

You can find more information here 

View solution in original post

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Hi Edwin, there is no way to dynamically use the browser setting to translate app data.

You can have a language selector, through a field or a variable. I've also used section access on a dashboard getting the language selection from some other application the same users have access to.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Hi Edwin,

Qlik Sense uses the browser selected language.

You can find more information here 

edwin
Master II
Master II
Author

hi thanks for the response.  i do get that.  and thats trivial to test.  Qlik Sense changes all menu items to the browser language.  however, how will your DASHBOARD know what language it is?  if all your data is in English (or one language) and you have a translation table for all other Dashboard - supported language.  you need to know what language to translate to.  the question is what language is that and how do to save that to a variable (i suppose thats how i would implement it).

so back to the original question: how will the dashboard know what the browser language is?  not how will Qlik Sense know.

edwin
Master II
Master II
Author

there is a variable for locale, however this is not dynamic this is set to the default of the server.  to demonstrate, ive set my language to French, and created a new dashboard:

edwin_0-1652447142766.png

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Hi Edwin, there is no way to dynamically use the browser setting to translate app data.

You can have a language selector, through a field or a variable. I've also used section access on a dashboard getting the language selection from some other application the same users have access to.

edwin
Master II
Master II
Author

HI, this was what we feared as we cant find any post related to what we were looking for.  we were hoping something this simple can b made available.  

as we needed to move fast weve decided to create an extension for it.  the extension will be added into all our dashboards and what the extensin will do is get the HTML language attribute, convert it to a language code and set the language variable.

until we find a better way.

thanks for all the feedback

edwin
Master II
Master II
Author

i opted to accept both responses as solution as they kind of build towards our final solution.