Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CheeseMan84
Contributor II
Contributor II

Len function returning values greater than 0 for null fields

I am attempting to create a field in Qlik to flag null values for 2 fields. The name of the fields that contain the nulls are called 'RealizedArrivalDateTime' and 'RealizedDepartureDateTime'

the line of code in the Data Load Editor is as follows

If(len(trim([realizedArrivalDateTime])) <> 0 OR len(trim([realizedDepartureDateTime])) <> 0, 'Not Missing', 'Missing') as [Arrival_Departure_Flag],

After loading this new field, i noticed every record was being tagged as 'Not Missing' even where value in realizedarrival and realizeddeparture was null.  As a test i added this code into the Data Load Editor

len(trim([realizedArrivalDateTime])) as [Arrival Length],
len(trim([realizedDepartureDateTime])) as [Departure_Length]

When i loaded these fields and built a small table to check, here were my results:

CheeseMan84_0-1706996564671.png

Anyone have any idea why these nulls have varying lengths greater than 0? Any other ideas as to how to key in on these values?

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
7 Replies
NellyAcko
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi try this the other way round:so all 

If(len(trim([realizedArrivalDateTime])) > 0 OR len(trim([realizedDepartureDateTime])) > 0, 'Missing', 'Not Missing') as [Arrival_Departure_Flag],

Also if tis does not work can you supply an example of the datetime field as there is other options for the if statement.

CheeseMan84
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Unfortunately that statement did not work, because the null values are returning len values >0, every field shows as not missing. Below are some examples of the date time field i am using

CheeseMan84_0-1707055193236.png

CheeseMan84
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

anat
Master
Master

Can you try like suppose your date field expected leng 24 digits

If(len(trim(field) )='24', 'not missing', ' missing') 

NellyAcko
Contributor III
Contributor III

OK so replicating your data you need to load the date fields and let QLIK know how this field is coded this is done one way as below: 

1st of all the load lets QLIK read the date-time, once this is loaded you reload this data with your expression included which will now work as the fields are correctly identified as DateTime. Finally you drop the original load leaving you with  the desired results. 

TEST:
LOAD
Timestamp#(realizedArrivalDeteTime, 'd/m/yyyy h:mm:ss tt') as realizedArrivalDeteTime,
Timestamp#(realizedDepartureDateTime, 'd/m/yyyy h:mm:ss tt') as realizedDepartureDateTime,
id_shift,
subOrderCode
FROM [lib://AttachedFiles/QLIK TEST DATES.txt]
(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

NoConcatenate
LOAD
Timestamp#(realizedArrivalDeteTime, 'd/m/yyyy h:mm:ss tt') as realizedArrivalDeteTime,
Timestamp#(realizedDepartureDateTime, 'd/m/yyyy h:mm:ss tt') as realizedDepartureDateTime,
id_shift,
subOrderCode,
if(len(trim([realizedArrivalDeteTime])) <> 0 OR len(trim([realizedDepartureDateTime])) <> 0, 'Not Missing', 'Missing') as [Arrival_Departure_Flag]
Resident TEST ;

Drop table TEST;

NellyAcko_0-1707064223461.png

CheeseMan84
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Receiving the following error:

CheeseMan84_0-1707108125583.png

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

You original script is actually working,

but the table chart is showing you unique combinations of all "Not Missing" flags in the dataset and NOT EACH DATA ROW

you can verify this by adding a recno() while loading the data

Load

Recno() as recordID

If(len(trim([realizedArrivalDateTime])) <> 0 OR len(trim([realizedDepartureDateTime])) <> 0, 'Not Missing', 'Missing') as [Arrival_Departure_Flag]

,len(trim([realizedArrivalDateTime])) as [Arrival Length],
,len(trim([realizedDepartureDateTime])) as [Departure_Length]

From XyzSource;

then add RecordID field to the table to verify each data row

alternatively you can also try below condition

if(len(KeepChar([realizedArrivalDateTime],'0123456789'))>1 or len(KeepChar([realizedDepartureDateTime],'0123456789'))>1 , 'NotMissing','Missing') as Arrival_Departure_Flag

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.