Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan0211
Creator
Creator

Variable throwing garbage after '=' error

This functionality works in a KPI but when I am trying to make it a variable, I am getting a garbage error:

{<[PERF_END_DATE] = {">=$(=timestamp(now()))<=$(=timestamp(now() + 180))"} >}

Garbage after expression: '='

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Your variable should look like:

var
{<[PERF_END_DATE] = {">='$(=timestamp(now()))'<='$(=timestamp(now() + 180))'"} >}

with no starting = by creating the variable and you could call it with something like:

sum($(var) [Field])

The additionally single-quotes around the $-sign expansion is to ensure that the content is treated as timestamp and not as any invalid string.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

9 Replies
marcus_sommer

If you put a = before your variable-content the content will be evaluated at once and the result is then assigned to the variable. Because of the fact that your content isn't a complete expression it caused the errors. Solution is just to left the =.

- Marcus

Evan0211
Creator
Creator
Author

Sorry, but what does left the = mean?

marcus_sommer

Your variable should look like:

var
{<[PERF_END_DATE] = {">='$(=timestamp(now()))'<='$(=timestamp(now() + 180))'"} >}

with no starting = by creating the variable and you could call it with something like:

sum($(var) [Field])

The additionally single-quotes around the $-sign expansion is to ensure that the content is treated as timestamp and not as any invalid string.

- Marcus

Evan0211
Creator
Creator
Author

Unfortunately the error is still showing with the new code changes you suggested above. I have posted a screenshot and here is a c/p of the expression.

marcus_sommer

You mean that just the expression-editor by creating the variable shows an error. You could simply ignore it. The parser tries to interpret the content but it's not a complete respectively valid expression and therefore displayed the error.

- Marcus  

Evan0211
Creator
Creator
Author

I am using the variable in a variable input with buttons and it does not filter my table, so I assume there is an error somewhere.

The variable input values are as follows:

='~All|vExpiring_in_30_Days~30 Days|vExpiring_in_90_Days~90 Day|vExpiring_in_180_Days~180 Day'

None of the buttons filter the table.  The variable above is vExpiring_in_180_Days, the 90 and 30 day variables are the same with a different duration.  None of them are filtering the table when clicked.

marcus_sommer

Your variables are as parts of an expression just strings - simply calling them couldn't filter the data. There exists no connection between those strings and your datamodel.

This means you need to include the logic within your expressions and/or maybe within a calculated dimension. It depends on your datamodel, the requirements to your views and the number of objects and expressions which way might be more suitable.

Personally I would tend to a bit different approach by creating a calculated dimension with something like:

class(aggr([PERF_END_DATE] - today(), Dim1, Dim2), $(vClusterSize))

whereby the Dim here are just placeholder for the dimensionally context in which the calculation should be done - probably there are some like customers, products or something similar. Class returned equal clusters but they don't need to be static else you could make it dynamically with a variable like vClusterSize.

- Marcus

Evan0211
Creator
Creator
Author

I have attached it to a KPI and it appears that the values there are correct upon the button clicks, but how do I wire it up to have the table filter on the button click?  The data in the table is not updating.  I am sure I am missing something simple. 

Evan0211
Creator
Creator
Author

Marcus, thanks so much for your help, I got it all wired up!