Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guilherme-matte
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Qlik Catalog and Data Transformation / Cleansing

Hello guys

One question regarding Catalog and data cleansing.

Is Qlik Catalog the best tool in the QDI for data stewards transforming and cleansing datasets before making the data available?

I know you can do a set of transformations in Replicate and Compose, but not sure which one would be the ideal tool for preparing the final dataset for consumption.

Does catalog offers different set of tools to help towards this objective?

Cheers!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brunnovb_in
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi @guilherme-matte

My answer is depend. I could say Qlik Compose would be the right tool but it is important understand the architecture, technologys utilized, team knowledge, company organization to give the "best" answer and so forth. It is important to understand about company governance and how the Qlik Catalog is used in the data pipeline. One thing that's important to think is that data stewards who transform and cleanse datasets using Qlik Catalog, in general these datasets would be available in the Qlik Catalog only (Of course, adding another steps you could publish to other targets like RDBMS, S3 and others). Therefore, Qlik Catalog might be the "best tool" for that in some scenarios because you can easily do that using the Prepare module.

You can see some operations available in the Qlik Catalog below.

brunnovb_in_0-1677501471298.png

You can check the Prepare controls here: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/catalog/February2023/Content/QlikCatalog/Prepare/Overview/prepare-contro...

Regards,

Brunno.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
brunnovb_in
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi @guilherme-matte

My answer is depend. I could say Qlik Compose would be the right tool but it is important understand the architecture, technologys utilized, team knowledge, company organization to give the "best" answer and so forth. It is important to understand about company governance and how the Qlik Catalog is used in the data pipeline. One thing that's important to think is that data stewards who transform and cleanse datasets using Qlik Catalog, in general these datasets would be available in the Qlik Catalog only (Of course, adding another steps you could publish to other targets like RDBMS, S3 and others). Therefore, Qlik Catalog might be the "best tool" for that in some scenarios because you can easily do that using the Prepare module.

You can see some operations available in the Qlik Catalog below.

brunnovb_in_0-1677501471298.png

You can check the Prepare controls here: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/catalog/February2023/Content/QlikCatalog/Prepare/Overview/prepare-contro...

Regards,

Brunno.