Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjones87
Contributor III
Contributor III

Firebase REST API connection with Qlik Sense

Currently you can connect to the Cloud Firestore REST API using the built in REST data connector embedding your API key in the request.

Unfortunately you must have your Cloud Firestore database security rules set to public for the REST call to work which is a massive problem as to connect to your db you have to leave it wide open with no security, this is therefore useless for production.

mto are there any plans for a dedicated Firestore connector or supporting OAuth2 authentication for the REST connector?

Or in the short term some kind of workaround?

Thanks

4 Replies
mjones87
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I'm currently pretty close to having to write a Node server just to dump flat files for Qlik to pick up or worse, building a custom connector for Qlik which is a road I really don't want to have to go down.

Has anyone has had any success with OAuth2 and REST connections with Qlik (I have seen the google analytics videos and they just don't seem to work for Firebase) or know if there are plans to improve the REST connector...?

lucialu0215
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi, mjones.

I am also facing the problem. May I know have you figured out the solution?

I was connecting to Google Analytics using Qlik Google Analytics Connector.

However, Google Analytics For Mobile Apps is getting shut down and I have to connect to Firebase now.

I appreciate for any suggestion and help. 

Regards,

Lucia

mjones87
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

If you just need google analytics data i think you would need to set up a big query export cron job for your firebase project and then connect to it with qliks in built big query connector.

Alternatively (and this is what ive had to do) write your own middleware which extracts the data and saves down a flat file for qlik to import or save it into your sql db etc.

I have a node.js service running which uses the google libraries to connect to firebase, this runs once a day and just downloads the database into some flat files which get imported into qlik.

Perhaps not the most elegant solution but its working for me.

lucialu0215
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi, mjones. 

Thank you so much for the quick reply. 

I also found the big query connector solution. 

However, using BigQuery may result in extra cost. 

There’s another option: Using the BigQuery sandbox, but there’re limitations.

https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/docs/sandbox

As a result, I am looking for solution using Rest API Connection in order to load some customized tables (selected dimensions and measures) daily from Firebase (it used to be from GoogleAnalytics)—do the incremental load and save into various QVDs. 

It seems like the case could be a bit more complex if I do not use the BigQuery. 😞

Since I don’t know how to write a middleware, is there any other way to solve this problem. 🙏

Thanks a lot. 

Regards,

Lucia