Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chadwatson
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Cloud Connection to Azure SQL database

Hello Qlik Community,

I am attempting to create a connection in Qlik Cloud to an Azure SQL database. Because this is a private end point, I am connecting via the Qlik Data Gateway - Direct access. I am using OAuth to connect, using a Service Principal in Entra ID. The service principal has db_datareader and db_denydatawriter rights via AD group membership.

When creating the connection, I am able to authenticate (click the authenticate button, get the code from the pop up browser window and paste it in to authenticate). However, when I click on Test connection I get the following error (Login failed for user '<token-identified principal>'.')

chadwatson_1-1718044990638.png

I see the same message in the data gateway logs.

Has anyone encountered this or know what could be missing?

Thank you,

Chad Watson

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chadwatson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

We found that the issue was that I did not have server-level access to the Azure SQL database. I assumed it was connecting using the Service Principal, but it appears that it uses the person's account that is setting up the connection.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jack_Guo
Support
Support

chadwatson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you, @Jack_Guo, I have forwarded this to our DBAs to look in to.

Chad

chadwatson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

We found that the issue was that I did not have server-level access to the Azure SQL database. I assumed it was connecting using the Service Principal, but it appears that it uses the person's account that is setting up the connection.

Jack_Guo
Support
Support

Hi @chadwatson  thanks for the update and glad to know the issue is fixed!