Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chadwatson
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Cloud Connection to Azure SQL database

Hello Qlik Community,

I am attempting to create a connection in Qlik Cloud to an Azure SQL database. Because this is a private end point, I am connecting via the Qlik Data Gateway - Direct access. I am using OAuth to connect, using a Service Principal in Entra ID. The service principal has db_datareader and db_denydatawriter rights via AD group membership.

When creating the connection, I am able to authenticate (click the authenticate button, get the code from the pop up browser window and paste it in to authenticate). However, when I click on Test connection I get the following error (Login failed for user '<token-identified principal>'.')

chadwatson_1-1718044990638.png

I see the same message in the data gateway logs.

Has anyone encountered this or know what could be missing?

Thank you,

Chad Watson

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chadwatson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

We found that the issue was that I did not have server-level access to the Azure SQL database. I assumed it was connecting using the Service Principal, but it appears that it uses the person's account that is setting up the connection.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jack_Guo
Support
Support

chadwatson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you, @Jack_Guo, I have forwarded this to our DBAs to look in to.

Chad

chadwatson
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

We found that the issue was that I did not have server-level access to the Azure SQL database. I assumed it was connecting using the Service Principal, but it appears that it uses the person's account that is setting up the connection.

Jack_Guo
Support
Support

Hi @chadwatson  thanks for the update and glad to know the issue is fixed!