Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lutter
Contributor
Contributor

importing data model from sql server

hello,

im trying to import data from sql server into qlik sense (connector Microsoft sql server).

all tables are successfully imported but the data model is not imported (keys and connection between tables)

The tables are already connected in sql (via Database Diagrams).

Is it possible to also import the data model? own interpretation of qlik  is often not correct.

this was testet in power BI and the data model (table connection) was successfully implemented.

thank you and greeting from Germany

Labels (1)
4 Replies
marcus_sommer

The attempt to replicate a sql-scheme in Qlik is IMO not sensible because Qlik used an associative data-model and not a relational one. Therefore I suggest to develop a real Qlik data-model - ideally as a star-scheme by merging (joining/mapping/concatenating) all facts into a single table with n dimension-tables. A good starting point could you find here:

Get started with developing qlik datamodels - Qlik Community - 1485839

- Marcus

Lutter
Contributor
Contributor
Author

ok thanks will look into it..

but is it possible? 

let's say we have 1 fact table and 5 dim tables already connected in SQL. Is it possible to import this info too? (like in Power BI)

cheers

marcus_sommer

I don't know if the wizards in Sense does support this feature. But I have my doubts that you could transfer it completely without any manually touching the data-manager and/or the script. The associations in Qlik are made per identically field-names - (ideally) only one between two tables and (important) without creating a circular loo - so you may need to rename some of the fields to get the right associations.

By one fact-table and 5 dimension-tables it's not much work and could be easily done during the validation of the data.

- Marcus

DavidFosterVF
Creator
Creator

@Lutter it is not possible to pull the SQL Server data model into Qlik. Qlik uses an OLEDB client and SQL which cannot address the modelling objects. Qlik's logic for linking tables is purely on identically named fields, so you will need to alias your joining fields as you load them in.