Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damago1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Cannot upgrade QlikSense Desktop Feb 2022 - no "upgrade" option in installer

I have QlikeSense Desktop installed. Version 14.54.2 (Feb 2022). Application requires me to upgrade. It even gives a link with installer. I have downloaded the installer from a given link. When I run the installer it does not give me "upgrade" option, only 2 options are present: "repair" and "uninstall". When I run the installer as administrator - also only those 2 options are present. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
damago1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

PLEASE do NOT use this answer. It is wrong. 

I am sorry but this is an answer on a level of Microsoft support. Uninstall everything, try another browser etc. Do you think that if I would like to install from scratch would I seek a solution here? There is an "uninstall" option buth there is no expected "upgrade" option in installer. 

It seems that the link given in application popup window is WRONG!!!! It is NOT downloading latest installer. Despite the window saying about upgrade and despite 'upgrade' word in the link in reality it is downloading exactly the same version that is already installed. 

So if you use the 'uninstall' option and reinstall from scratch than you will loose all settings, access to files created under 'Documents' and even worse: you will land in the same situation with a neeed to upgrade. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Uninstall and install from scratch, perhaps? I don't think that should have any negative impact...

damago1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

PLEASE do NOT use this answer. It is wrong. 

I am sorry but this is an answer on a level of Microsoft support. Uninstall everything, try another browser etc. Do you think that if I would like to install from scratch would I seek a solution here? There is an "uninstall" option buth there is no expected "upgrade" option in installer. 

It seems that the link given in application popup window is WRONG!!!! It is NOT downloading latest installer. Despite the window saying about upgrade and despite 'upgrade' word in the link in reality it is downloading exactly the same version that is already installed. 

So if you use the 'uninstall' option and reinstall from scratch than you will loose all settings, access to files created under 'Documents' and even worse: you will land in the same situation with a neeed to upgrade. 

Or
MVP
MVP

This is not Support. This is Community. If you'd like to contact Support, you can do that, but you're in the wrong place.

I've previously uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop and have not had any issues with my setting or documents being lost, but YMMV.

If you're concerned about having downloaded the wrong version, you can download the appropriate version from the Downloads site manually.

damago1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Maybe my standards are different. I am posting a solution if I know the solution. I am trying to avoid dummy mails like 'it works by me', 'please fresh install', 'use another browser', 'clear browser cache' etc. 

damago1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

To anybody having the same issue: there is a bug in Qlik Sense Desktop Feb 2022. The upgrade link links to wrong installer. You have to manually download the installer from web page. This new installer works. 

Or
MVP
MVP

My standards would have been to try downloading the correct version from Downloads before posting, for what it's worth, so my assumption was that you would have already tried that and the suggestion to uninstall was made accordingly. I've historically uninstalled and installed Desktop fresh several times, and have never had any issues doing so, which is why I suggested it as an option if a regular upgrade wasn't working.

Glad you got it working.

damago1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

When I posted the question I was sure that this is the correct installer. Why?

1. The installer was automatically downloaded by Qlik Sense Desktop application itself.

2.  ...from a dialog window which was explicitly stating that this is the link I should click to upgrade the application

3. The URL was something like https://qlik.com/SenseDesktopUpgrade or something similar

I did not expect that the application developers did so poor quality check that they created a dialog window explicitly asking me to clik a link and the link is automatically downloading incorrect installer. 

Also: I am trying to avoid reinstalling because the installation was upgraded several times and I have still the legacy placement of project files. I have very bad experience with some bugs in application causing the old projects to be not accessible by newer versions which expect projects to be placed in some hidden location instead of "Documents" folder. The projects are visible but could not be opened. I had to open support tickets in the past and I could not access financial models for over a week until the issue was resolved and specific magic moves was done to re-enable access to projects. 

I am explicitly asking for help on this forum to upgrade the app instead of uninstalling and reinstalling the app. And your response is 'uninstall it' which does not make any sense taking into account my question which is trying to avoid exaxtly that what you propose. I know that I can uninstall it because I have such option was present in the installer from the start. 

You sent one simple sentence which had 2 serious issues: you proposed exactly that what I was trying to avoid, and you claim that it would not have negative impact which is NOT true in my case.