Failed to configure per machine MSI package during upgrade Sept2018 to Sept2019
Hello, I've been struggling to get our Qliksense September 2018 installation to update properly to September 2019 on a Windows 2016 Standard server.
The upgrade process seems to run fine and in the installation logs I see all .MSI's getting installed properly, except the ServiceDispatcher. It is during the installation of this .MSI that I get the error 0x80070643 as shown in the log snippet below.
I've ran SFC and DISM to correct any missing install files for .NET or MSI installer and they both without reporting any issues. I found a post which mentioned that .NET Framework 4.8 might be at fault, but this isn't installed.
After rolling back the Qliksense installation is not complete and only a few services still exist. I have to revert to a snapshot of the server made previously, in order to get the system back online again.
I can't seem to find any solution that works for this and would appreciate any help !
Additional information; I found the snippet belowe in the ServiceDispatcher.log file which might be the trigger to start a roll-back. I checked the .PS1 script and it actually uses a JSON file to create an object. The Certificate property actually exists under $appsettings.Encryption.Certificate, so I don't understand why this error pops up.
CAQuietExec: AppDistributionService configuration successful. MSI (s) (D8:84) [18:22:02:971]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CA_UpgradeHDS,ActionType=11265,Source=BinaryData,Target=**********,CustomActionData=**********) MSI (s) (D8:2C) [18:22:03:004]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI584.tmp, Entrypoint: CAQuietExec CAQuietExec: Entering CAQuietExec in C:\Windows\Installer\MSI584.tmp, version 3.11.2318.0 CAQuietExec: "C:\Windows\system32\\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -NoLogo -NonInteractive CAQuietExec: HybridDeploymentService configuration started. CAQuietExec: WARNING: Skiping the database initialization. No superuser or password CAQuietExec: specified. Reading the settings file. CAQuietExec: C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\HybridDeploymentService\Configure-Service.ps1 : The CAQuietExec: property 'Certificate' cannot be found on this object. Verify that the propert CAQuietExec: y exists and can be set. CAQuietExec: + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) , R CAQuietExec: untimeException CAQuietExec: + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PropertyNotFound,Configure-Service.ps1 CAQuietExec: CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: Command line returned an error. CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: QuietExec Failed CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: Failed in ExecCommon method CustomAction CA_UpgradeHDS returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox) MSI (s) (D8:84) [18:22:04:671]: Note: 1: 2265 2: 3: -2147287035 MSI (s) (D8:84) [18:22:04:673]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0 MSI (s) (D8:84) [18:22:04:673]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0 Action ended 18:22:04: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
The Powershell script that is executed during the installation IS updated as per the log :
File: C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\HybridDeploymentService\Configure-Service.ps1; Overwrite; Won't patch; Existing file is unversioned and unmodified - hash doesn't match source file
I unpacked all installation files from the SchedulerDispatcher.MSI and took a peek at the updated Configure-Service.ps1 script. In this script they try to set 2 variables based on an object (appsettings) created from the unmodified/not-overwritten appsettings.json file:
As this node doesn't exist in the not-updated appsettings.json file, the Powershell script returns the error in previous post, returning in the MSI returning an error code and the whole rollback starts.
This evening, before trying the upgrade for a 4th time, I will modify the appsettings.json file to hold this LocalBearerToken entry in the current appsettings.json file. This should cause the Configure-Service.ps1 script not to throw an error and hopefully finished the installation succesfully. I will post the outcome.
The issue with the installation may come from using the wrong computer/maschine name! Somehow it accepts the user and credentials but then fails, the easiest way is to use the exact name of machine name/user name taken from the properties of a file, security tab and then use the account full name from there.