Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HendrikJ
Contributor III
Contributor III

General supported ciphers / Qlik Sense security

I did find several notes and articles regarding this, but they were all old and not up to date.

Several Qlik services popped up in security scans over the last few weeks (proxy, license, webchat, hybrid deployment...).

We then configured the ciphers for the license service manually:

-cipher-suites=TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA

Unfortunately, that still leaves me with ciphers with no forward secrecy. If I remove the RSA ciphers, Qlik does not work anymore, probably because the other services can not talk to the license service anymore.

This is also the case for other Qlik services (webchat and others). We already had to remove all CBC ciphers system wide (because of the Goldendoodle vulnerability of the Qlik Proxy), and we now need to disable all RSA ciphers also (see https://support.qlik.com/articles/000115202).

That in turn makes Qlik not work anymore. So we are now stuck in a situation where we can not further limit the list off allowed ciphers because it makes Qlik not work anymore, and we can not allow other ciphers (CBC), because it will open up old security issues (namely regarding the Qlik proxy).

I would be very happy if someone could please point me in a direction where I can find a collection of ciphers and settings that I can enable so the various Qlik services are using up to date ciphers with forward secrecy and everything still works. I was not able to find anything like that so far.

Probably something like this, but with updated ciphers:
https://community.qlik.com/t5/Support-Knowledge-Base/TLS-and-SSL-Support-in-Qlik-Sense-How-to-config...

I attached our current system wide cipher configuration that works, but leaves security findings regarding all DotNet services from services.conf.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HendrikJ
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Bastien,

-cipher-suites=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384

This works for us with the latest November 2020 release and at the same time satisfies our security scans (for now).

Best regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Bastien_Laugiero

Hello @HendrikJ!

I was just looking at your post and saw your comment in article https://community.qlik.com/t5/Support-Knowledge-Base/TLS-and-SSL-Support-in-Qlik-Sense-How-to-config...

It sounds like you have found a solution:

I just did some testing with Qlik November 2020 newest patchlevel, and it looks much better than the older version. I may actually be able to use TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 and TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 with everything and Qlik still seems to work. That should satisfy our security requirements.

Can you please confirm? This will surely help other community users! 

Thank you and have a great day!

Bastien Laugiero
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT.
HendrikJ
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Bastien,

-cipher-suites=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384

This works for us with the latest November 2020 release and at the same time satisfies our security scans (for now).

Best regards