Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sergio_loza
Partner - Contributor III

Hardware requirements for a PostgreSQL server that is only used for Qlik

Hello all

I was reading up on and one of the recommendations is to have the Postgress DB on a separate server.

Installing and configuring PostgreSQL

To improve performance in a Qlik Sense multi-node deployment, you have the option to install your repository (QSR), SenseServices, QSMQ, QLogs logging, and Licenses databases on a dedicated, remote PostgreSQL server.

What I couldn't  find much was any recommended specs  for this server with the assumption that the server will only host the above schemas for a medium type multinode deployment. 

Any idea on how to size the server reqs for this need?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Something on the order of 4 cores / vCPU and 8GB of RAM is sufficient. You can likely skate by with less if you're running either a Core / Nano version of Windows Server or Linux for PostgreSQL. As far as disk space, I wouldn't start out with anything less than 200GB. You likely won't need that much but disk space is extremely inexpensive.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Because it is going to be a standalone server which will have only PostgreSQL, you should check the recommendation from PostgreSQL. 

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Something on the order of 4 cores / vCPU and 8GB of RAM is sufficient. You can likely skate by with less if you're running either a Core / Nano version of Windows Server or Linux for PostgreSQL. As far as disk space, I wouldn't start out with anything less than 200GB. You likely won't need that much but disk space is extremely inexpensive.

sergio_loza
Author

Pretty close to what our DBops team estimated after we provided a few pgdumps to him of a medium size customer

thanks!

rrbhupathi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Levi_Turner 

Does Qlik supports Qlik Sense using Postgres repository hosted on Linux? 

Thanks

Naga

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Sure.

From https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-admin/Subsystems/DeployAdministerQSE/Content/Sense_DeployAdministe... :

• You can run the instance of PostgreSQL on platforms including Windows, Linux or cloud hosted services, such as Amazon RDS. However, Qlik will only offer configuration support when PostgreSQL is running on Windows. If you use Linux or Amazon RDS, it is your own responsibility to install and configure a running instance of PostgreSQL for Qlik Sense to use.

The way to read this is, if you run PostgreSQL on Linux, Qlik can speak to the high level PostgreSQL config values , but will not assist you in discerning where to set those values. The software itself requires PostgreSQL. From a Qlik Support standpoint, they are not expected to be experts in:

• Using find to locate the pg_hba and postgresql conf files
  • Adjusting the firewall to allow port(s)
  • Restarting a Linux service
  • etc
rrbhupathi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @Levi_Turner 

What you are saying is,

1) As a customer we are allowed to host Qlik Sense Postgres repositories on Linux 

2) Qlik does supports this configuration from Qlik Sense application perspective except that Qlik will not be able to assist in setting up the repository database on Linux.

3) In case of issues with Postgres running on Linux, customer is responsible to resolve them working their internal Postgres experts.

I hope I got it clear.  Please confirm

Thanks

Naga

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

@rrbhupathi wrote:

Thank you @Levi_Turner 

What you are saying is,

1) As a customer we are allowed to host Qlik Sense Postgres repositories on Linux 

2) Qlik does supports this configuration from Qlik Sense application perspective except that Qlik will not be able to assist in setting up the repository database on Linux.

3) In case of issues with Postgres running on Linux, customer is responsible to resolve them working their internal Postgres experts.

RE (1): Yes. Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows requires PostgreSQL. Not PostgreSQL on Windows. PostgreSQL can be installed on Linux or via RDS / Azure PostgreSQL / GCP's managed PostgreSQL offering.

RE (2): Except that Qlik Support is not expected to know how to specifically configure PostgreSQL except on Windows.

RE (3): This is where it's outside of my scope as someone who is not in Qlik Support. But my expectation would be that Qlik Support (and/or R&D) would provide the thing which is needed. For example "Increase the maximum number of concurrent connections". It will be the customer's responsibility to implement this. On Linux, this is straight-forward. Find the postgresql.conf file, change the value using your Text editor of choice (i.e. vi, vim, nano, etc), restart the service. On RDS, this is driven by the DB instance's memory (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/CHAP_Limits.html). This is to take but one example.