Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unknownb
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Migration Postgres Difference

Hello,

This has probably been asked a million times but couldn't find it.

We have an existing Qlik Sense Enterprise - Version May 2021 Patch 1 - single node deployment, setup on an aging Windows 2012 Server. On here, it looks like Postgres 9.6 is / was installed.

We are moving away from our current host to Azure, so have a new VM with Windows Server 2022, perfect time to migrate. I have downloaded the release candidate from https://github.com/qlik-download/qlik-sense-server/releases/v14.20.5 however, on install, it turns out this installs Postgres 12.5 not 9.6... 

Now my question, if I follow the guide - https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-admin/November2021/Subsystems/DeployAdministerQSE/Content/Sense_De... - it states we must have the same version etc. I have managed to take a backup of our existing Database Repository, can I import this into the 12.5 without issues, or am I going to have a MAJOR headache on my hands?

Or, would upgrading from May 2021 to 2023 in place be advisable, and then somehow, migrate from there to the new environment?

Secondly, does anyone know anyone that offer this service of a migration assistance?

It's a simple, single node deployment with the same hostnames etc to be on old and new etc.

Labels (2)
1 Reply
shaun_lombard
Creator II
Creator II

I think May 2021 is bundled with Qlik Sense 12.5 which means you can do something similar to what I did when migrating to new servers. Install the same version of Qlik Sense on the new server (May 2021) and then simply restore your 9.6 backup to the new 12.5 database. I can confirm that the process works after having done it on 8 servers. I was migrating from Aug 2022 and then later installed the newer Qlik Sense version.