Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DevFromAbove
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Silent installation of Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows (single node setup)

Hi there,

I am trying to install Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows (May 2022) silently on a single Windows Server (2022 Datacenter Azure Edition) based Virtual Machine in Azure.

Before my first attempts to install Qlik Sense, I verified that the installed version of .NET-Framework and PowerShell are greater than the required ones.

I red, that for running PostgreSQL 14.x a Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 redistributable is needed. So I installed the latest x64 variant of the redistributable (Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022). Is it possible, that this installation is conflicting with the version of the C++ Redistributable the Qlik Sense installer comes with?

Unfortunatly I can not install Qlik Sense... The installation process stops during the attempt to install PostgreSQL14. I took a screenshot of the log file created during installation process of PostgreSQL14. It is stated, that the role "qliksenserepository" does not exist. Should not the user be created during installation? I am confused...

Here you can see the command I used for installing Qlik Sense silently:

.\Qlik_Sense_setup.exe -silent -log "C:\Temp\QlikInstallation.log" accepteula=1 `
desktopshortcut=1 `
skipstartservices=1 `
installdir="C:\Program Files\Qlik" `
userwithdomain=".\quser" `
userpassword="xxx" `
dbpassword="xxx" `
hostname="localhost" `
sharedpersistenceconfig="$spcConfigPath" `
senddata=0 `
skipvalidation=1 `
databasedumpfile="C:\Program Files\Qlik\DB\db.bak" `
bundleinstall=dashboard,visualization

And this is the spc.cfg I used:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<SharedPersistenceConfiguration xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance ' xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema '>
<DbUserName>qliksenserepository</DbUserName>
<DbUserPassword>xxx</DbUserPassword>
<DbHost>localhost</DbHost>
<DbPort>4432</DbPort>
<RootDir>\\QlikPSTest\QlikShare</RootDir>
<StaticContentRootDir>\\QlikPSTest\QlikShare\StaticContent</StaticContentRootDir>
<ArchivedLogsDir>\\QlikPSTest\QlikShare\ArchivedLogs</ArchivedLogsDir>
<AppsDir>\\QlikPSTest\QlikShare\Apps</AppsDir>
<CreateCluster>true</CreateCluster>
<InstallLocalDb>true</InstallLocalDb>
<ConfigureDbListener>true</ConfigureDbListener>
<ListenAddresses>*</ListenAddresses>
<IpRange>0.0.0.0/0,::/0</IpRange>
<MaxConnections>100</MaxConnections>
<HttpPortNumber>80</HttpPortNumber>
<HttpsPortNumber>443</HttpsPortNumber>
<EnableHttpPort>true</EnableHttpPort>
<DbMaximumConnectionPoolSize>90</DbMaximumConnectionPoolSize>
</SharedPersistenceConfiguration>

Is there anything I missed?

Does anyone have any idea why the installation keeps failing?

I would be very grateful for any help.

Kind regards,

Erik

Labels (1)
3 Replies
DevFromAbove
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Alan,

thanks for your suggestion. I will keep that in mind.

I do not understand why the guided installation with user interface works in the virtual machine, but the silent one does not. Is there a difference between the two installation processes? Especially since I entered the same data in the input fields of the graphical installer as I do in the SPC and the parameters for the installer. Does the problem occur more frequently?

DevFromAbove
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Update:

I tested silent installation with Qlik Sense release February 2024 and May 2024 on multiple Windows Server versions listed here:

• Windows Server 2019 Datacenter
  • Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Azure Edition
  • Windows Server 2020 Datacenter
  • Windows Server 2020 Datacenter Azure Edition

For all my tests, I used a new Virtual Machine with 4 Virtual Cores, 16 GiB RAM and 265 GiB storage. Unfortunatly all my attempts to install Qlik Sense silently failed. The process always fails due to a missing role in PostgreSQL. This role is named after the user I want to run the repository database as. For example, if I want to run the repository database as qlikrepository user, in the log for PostgreSQL 14.x installer I can find the following error:

createdb: error: database creation failed: ERROR: role "qliksenserepository" does not exist

Installation of PostgreSQL 12.x seems to be successful everytime. At least I can not find any errors in the logs.

Before any installation attempt, I installed .Net Framework in version 4.8.1 and C++ redistributable 2015-2022, created a service user with Administrator privilages and a Samba file share. The newly created user got read and write access to the file share. The installer was run as a user with Admin privilages created during creation of the Virtual Machine.

Installation using the graphical installer was always successfull. For both ways of installation, I provided identical configuration parameters.

Can anyone reproduce the described behaviour?