Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danri94
Contributor III
Contributor III

Translating Dashboards

Currently, my data sources provide fields in German and my dashboards are also built in German. In the future, I would like to make them bilingual (German/English) and ask users for their preferred language on the sheet. Is there a best practice for this?

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

There are many ways of implementing multi-lingual dashboards. The technique that I use, involves the following:

1. Create a table of all texts (in Excel), with one "main" language, like English, or German in your case, and additional columns for all other languages that you want to support.

2. Load the table into Qlik Sense, using CROSSTABLE load. You should end up with a table that has 3 fields:

- Text
- Language
- TranslatedText

3. Replace all static labels with formulas, like this for example:

=only({<Language={$(vLNG)}, Text={'Sales YTD'}>} TranslatedText)

where vLNG is the variable that determines the selected Language.

To learn more advanced development techniques, check out the agenda of the Masters Summit for Qlik - coming soon to Orlando and to Dublin!

Or
MVP
MVP

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Or,

This is a similar technique to the one I described. I like mine more, because with my technique, I don't have to remember what text #64 means - when I'm looking at each label, I can see the original text in English that's being translated.

The rest is pretty much the same.

Cheers,

Or
MVP
MVP

@Oleg_Troyansky  Sure, I was just linking the resource that covers it more extensively.

I also prefer to use the English version as the base rather than the index, but if the original is in German that might not be desirable. It's also worth mentioning that while the index is going to be fixed, the English text might change as business terminology changes (or due to a fix of a bad original translation), so there are upsides to using the index number as well if one is willing to forgo the ease of identifying what each expression is.