Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davwade1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Uninstall/Reinstall because of old dbase 9.6

Hello,

I am upgrading from Aug 2021 to Aug 2022 (QSEoW). Because my current Aug 2021 is using the old postgresql 9.6 (my QS is installed on E: so I cannot use the conversion tool). I believe my steps are to Uninstall Aug 2021 (after backing up everything (following the post: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Qlik-Sense-May-2021-Upgrade-bundled-PostgreS...)) and then Installing Aug 2022 and restoring dbase/certs/etc...
I just wanted to confirm that it is OK for me to uninstall Aug 2021 and then install Aug 2022 directly (which gives me new 12.5 dbase).
I don't think I need to uninstall Aug 2021 and then Reinstall Aug 2021 (getting the new 12.5 dbase) and then upgrade to Aug 2022 as a separate step.

Thanks,

David

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Albert_Candelario

Hello @davwade1 ,

I would not recommend uninstall August 2021 and restore its database on a new fresh install of August 2022. Restoring DB of different Qlik Sense client managed versions can lead into issues and is not recommended.

You could upgrade to August 2022 and then reinstall August 2022, but I recommend the long path.

Cheers,

Albert

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer

View solution in original post

brouvreau
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hello David,

perhaps this post arrives too late.

I am in a quite situation (PostgreSQL 9.6 installed elsewhere than C:\.... default path), and actions to migrate to August 2022.

After some tries and faield upgrade logs not very explicit, I applied this workaround.

As Qlik posgresql migration Tool do not see installed binaries path if it is not in the default path, even if you mention it on the wizard, you only need to copy past PosgreSQL binaries from your installed path to default C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\*.*

after that, Qlik_PostgreSQL_setup.exe utility works like a charm

(it is the case on all my instances.......!) 😀

View solution in original post

7 Replies
shaun_lombard
Creator II
Creator II

Hi David,

I just upgraded our Qlik Sense environments from Aug 2021 to Aug 2022 but opted to leave the postgres at version 9.6. Everything still works even though postgres may no longer be supported. Our intention is to do that upgrade as a separate process.

Shaun

Albert_Candelario

Hello @davwade1 ,

I would not recommend uninstall August 2021 and restore its database on a new fresh install of August 2022. Restoring DB of different Qlik Sense client managed versions can lead into issues and is not recommended.

You could upgrade to August 2022 and then reinstall August 2022, but I recommend the long path.

Cheers,

Albert

davwade1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Albert,

Thanks very much for the note. I did not consider the problem with restoring a dbase to a different version. I think I will uninstall Aug 2021 and then reinstall to get the new 12.5 dbase. Then after all is well I will upgrade to Aug 2022.

Albert_Candelario

great @davwade1, I am glad I could help!

Cheers,

Albert

brouvreau
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hello David,

perhaps this post arrives too late.

I am in a quite situation (PostgreSQL 9.6 installed elsewhere than C:\.... default path), and actions to migrate to August 2022.

After some tries and faield upgrade logs not very explicit, I applied this workaround.

As Qlik posgresql migration Tool do not see installed binaries path if it is not in the default path, even if you mention it on the wizard, you only need to copy past PosgreSQL binaries from your installed path to default C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\*.*

after that, Qlik_PostgreSQL_setup.exe utility works like a charm

(it is the case on all my instances.......!) 😀

Albert_Candelario

Thanks for sharing @brouvreau !

shaan007
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi There, 

After upgrading my PostGreSQL to 14, I cannot run the QS upgrade. It is saying that 'An Existing Database has been detected.... 9.3.

I follow the instruction but

When I try to uninstall the PostgreSQL.msi I am getting this error. What should I do?

shaan007_0-1719384455115.png