Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DOD
Contributor III
Contributor III

Upgrading Qlik Sense Enterprise Windows from 2020 version to latest

Hi,

We are looking to upgrade our current version of Qlik Sense enterprise (June 2020) to the latest version (November 2023).

Given the gap in versions, can anyone provide guidance on whether an upgrade to an intermediary version is required initially and if so, which version is recommended?

Thank you very much.

Dod

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DOD
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Chetan_MN ,

We did. In the end we decided to take the more cautious approach and used the following upgrade path:

June 2020 -> Nov 2020

Nov 2020 -> Feb 2021

Feb 2021 -> Feb 2022

Feb 2022 -> Aug 2022

Aug 2022 -> Aug 2023

Aug 2023 -> Feb 2024

This ran successfully, with no issues between any of the version upgrades.

Thanks again for the advice.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Chetan_MN
Support
Support

Hi @DOD Please refer to "Considerations about older versions" section in the documentation below to know the major changes in versions of Qlik Sense and plan accordingly.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-admin/November2023/Subsystems/DeployAdministerQSE/Content/Sense_De...

Anil_Babu_Samineni

@DOD From my personal opinion, Please go with Feb 2023 (Since then the postgre DB is changed), and then plan anything after. 

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
DOD
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Chetan,

Thanks for the reference documentation. My understanding from this is what we should upgrade to November 2020 initially.

It appears we can then upgrade directly from that version to November 2023, with the additional considerations regarding the upgrade to PostgreSQL 14.8 to be applied.

Thanks,

Dod

DOD
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the advice, @Anil_Babu_Samineni.

Would this then be an upgrade from Jun 2020 to Nov 2020 (due to .NET framework 4.8) and then an upgrade to Feb 2023 (due to PostgreSQL)?

Anil_Babu_Samineni

@DOD What I do this case, 

1) you can upgrade .Net framework directly in Jun 2020

2) Then do the same for postgre SQL

3) Then I will suggest Qlik component (Feb 2023)

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
DOD
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@Anil_Babu_Samineni, when upgrading PostgreSQL to 14.8 in the Jun 2020 environment initially, it appears that this cannot be done using the QPI (Qlik PostgreSQL Installer), due to the older QS version.

I see the following comment in the QPI documentation: 

• Upgrade an existing bundled database from PostgreSQL 9.6 and 12.5 to 14.8. The QPI only supports Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows February 2022 and above. It's recommended that you upgrade to the latest supported version of Qlik Sense before using the QPI.

Does this mean, that PostgreSQL should be upgraded manually in the Jun 2020 environment?

Anil_Babu_Samineni

@DOD I have followed this article, Upgrading and unbundling the Qlik Sense Repository... - Qlik Community - 1934238

In this case from your site, It may not possible until you go to one of the version where Postgre SQL works. I am rephraming my sequence order.

1) you can upgrade .Net framework directly in Jun 2020

2) Then I will suggest Qlik component (February 2022)

3) Then do the same for postgre SQL upgrade

4) Then I will suggest Qlik component (Nov 2023) -- this works because you have both DB and dot net that is supportive.

I would better you to suggest to go latest version of postgre SQL (At least 14.x), you can read more here: PostgreSQL | endoflife.date

Because, all the above steps performed and tested fine. I will suggest you to go with pre production to see the bugs. 

DOD
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks very much, @Anil_Babu_Samineni.

This is very helpful.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

@DOD Glad we able to help, Please Accept as Solution to close this thread. In case, If you feel none of replied won't help and you have your answer. You can paste them and close it!