Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvolkmerwolf
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

postgreSQL service shown as "not running" in service manager, but...

Dear all,

I have a problem (maybe?) that appears a bit strange to me.

I upgraded Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows to version Februar 2022, then ran the Qlik PostGreSQL-Update utility early last year, thus I ended up having postgres V 12.5 on my installation. Everything ran smooth.

Now, with postgreSQL service no more being bundled with the Qlik Sense installer, I knew I had to manually upgrade to postgreSQL 14.8, and I did so following this article here.

And now, after having started the OS (Windows Server 2019), the postgreSQL service allways shows as "nut running" (!), allthough I do have a couple of postgres processes in the background, I also can open the QMC and the Hub, and using pgAdmin I can connect to the repository database.

I did activate the logging in the postgres.conf file (logging_collector = on, log_min_error_statement = debug1) ... so far to no avail, from the logs it really seems the service would be running. Except one thing: ocasionally there is an error in the logs that says "could not receive data from client, unrecognized winsock error 10054"....don't know if this is important.

I can manually start the service after having deleted the file postmaster.pid, but that's not how it should run, right?

Has anyone of you made the same experience or can anyone explain this to me? Maybe I'm overseeing important things....

Many thanks in advance,

Labels (1)
10 Replies
marsman82
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

We encountered the same problem. The suggestion to check for read-only was a good one, but at first, everything did not seem to be set to read-only. However, when we looked at this folder separately, which contains files like postmaster.pid: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\data, it turned out to be (partially) set to read-only. After removing the check mark from read-only and restarting the server, it seemed to work again