Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talend installation best practices

We have been working with a Data Warehouse consultant company for a year or so now. They recommended installing Talend (our ETL package) on the same VM as the MSSQL Server. I didn't push back on this initially because I didn't expect the Talend Services to be so CPU-abusive. I didn't think that we'd be seeing high CPU all the time for our small dataset that it was working with.

I'd like to have a new VM (possibly on a different VMware host than the MSSQL Server) setup and Talend installed to it. The Consultant says this will reduce performance. My theory is that if all it's doing is SQL Queries to the MSSQL DB Server it would be better to do those from a different Host/VM. If it's a network bottleneck, then I can put the 2 VMs on the same VMware host to speed up that communication. Then the VM wont' have to fight with itself for resources between Talend and MSSQL. I can tune the VMs individually if they are separated as well.

I did some searching in the Talend Documentation website and the Install Guide doesn't mention installing on the same VM as the DB or separating it.

Any advise from other Sysadmins on the Best Practice for a Talend installation architecture?

Labels (2)
1 Reply
Thuthuka
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Just my 2p on this not as a Talend expert but as someone with quite a bit of experience with software development and setting up VM's and trouble shooting.

In almost all cases it is better to have the database on a separate VM. It is also better to have each client application connect with a different user to the DB. ( NB There may be cost issues that make this impossible but try any way.) This way you can use the database tools to make sure it is the Talend service that is abusing the DB or not.

As a dev with my experience with Talend it was not “CPU-abusive “ but I was only using it for one off migrations.