Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Femke
Contributor III
Contributor III

Link to external database (CMD, powershel or BAT file) in a table

Dear all, 

In order to be confidential in our hospital, I would like to link our (external database) patient system in qlik sense. In this way, the file number of the patient is not visible in the dashboard, but is replaced by a  word you can choose for example 'link'. See attachment. 

The purpose is to click on the link in the table and our program will directly open to see the selected patient record. 

so, for each line (patient) there will be a link in a column. 

The doctor then can select a patient file in our system, while clicking on the hyperlink in the table. 

I saw this during the convention this year in Dallas, but cannot implement this yet. 

Can anyone please help me with this issue? 

Many thanks! 

Femke 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

As I understand it, you want a user who is accessing Qlik Sense (through a web browser) to click on a hyper link which then executes a PowerShell or BAT file locally or remotely? No, this is not possible. Web browsers are sufficiently sandboxed that they cannot call files like that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Here's an example app.

This style of linking will work if the URL which you want to generate has a field already in the app.

For the attached app, here's the data:

Countries:
LOAD * INLINE [
Abbrev,Country
DE, Germany
USA, United_States
];

On the front end, I am using a dimension of  

='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/' & Country

which then generates links to the Wikipedia article for the two example countries.

Hope that helps.

Femke
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your help, but that was not what I meant. I was looking for a way to make a link in a table to an external program like CMD, powershell or BAT. If you click on the link, the program has to be opened, not a website. 

Thanks for any help!

Femke

marcus_sommer

I think it won't be possible. Instead of opening a website you could refer to a batch-file and it will be executed - with the stored content of the batch-file. But in this way you couldn't add any parameter - adding a parameter leads just to an invalid link.

Depending on the number of patients it may be a workaround to create for each of them an own batch-file (could be done within the script with a loop) which just contained a call to your origin batch with your wanted parameter.

Beside this I suggest to rethink your whole approach because it sounds a bit odd to create a link in Qlik to execute a batch-file to access a database to return certain data within any tool (probably not the cmd-window). Of course the protection of confidential data is very important but I'm not sure that the outlined method really served the purpose.

In any way you needs to implement an user-related access-control to the data which could be quite difficult with the above mentioned approach. More practically seems for me to load all (needed) data into Qlik and using Section-Access to control the access.

Update: this relates to View with the desktop client or IE plugin.

- Marcus 

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

As I understand it, you want a user who is accessing Qlik Sense (through a web browser) to click on a hyper link which then executes a PowerShell or BAT file locally or remotely? No, this is not possible. Web browsers are sufficiently sandboxed that they cannot call files like that.