Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peachman
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Mashup - Reading QVD Data direct from QVD using an API.

Hi All,

I have been looking through the documentation for trying to get data directly from a QVD and not via an apps app.getData() methods.

Has anyone been able to do this, I cannot find any methods in the documentation to achieve such endeavour ?

Labels (1)
10 Replies
bijoy
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi 

I have also a similar requirement to read a QVD using API calls. Were you able to find a solution for this?

Thanks

alex_colombo
Employee
Employee

Hi @peachman and @bijoy, what is the entire use case? Why do you need to access data from a QVD which is not be loaded in a QS app?
There is no documentation on it because there is no API for this kind of requirement.

bijoy
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @alex_colombo ,

My use case is that I want to reuse the QVDs in some other databases or systems as a source.

For e.g. I want to load the QVDs to Power BI.  For that I am looking for a connector /API

Appreciate your help!

Thanks

alex_colombo
Employee
Employee

I suggest to read QVD data directly from source system and not from another BI tool. As per my previous message, there are no APIs for this scenario

Cyriac
Contributor
Contributor

We are using Qlik essentially as an ETL tool. We did a lot of work on ETL side and now there is a treasure of cleansed and aggregated data resides in QVDs.

To avoid redoing alll the work in Power BI, we are looking for  an option to connect to QVDs from Power BI

Thanks

stefanstoichev123

Qlik can store data into TXT/CSV as well. Then the generated files then can be used from other systems as well.

// store into qvd
store mytable into myfile.qvd (qvd);

// store into csv
store mytable into myfile.txt (txt);

Store command

Delimiter options

Stefan

Cyriac
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @stefanstoichev123 .

Yes , I know this option. But this create the duplicate data sets. So thought of finding a better way to do this( probably a QVD connector)

Thanks

stefanstoichev123

It will indeed.

Unfortunately there is no (easy) way to read QVD files.

As far as Im aware there is no reliable js package (or in any other language in that matter) that can read QVD files.

Stefan

alex_colombo
Employee
Employee

@Cyriac there is a way for reading QVD data. Indeed QVDs are basically xml files and there are software which can read data within QVDs such as QViewer.