Qlik Community

Ask a Question

Integration, Extension & APIs

Discussion board where members can learn more about Integration, Extensions and API’s for Qlik Sense.

Announcements
Support Cases coming to Qlik Community Oct. 4! Start chats, open cases, explore resources: READ DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikebumamv
Partner
Partner

Rest connector: With connection + Authentication scheme

Hello all,

I've a question about the with connection statement. I want the connection variable, so I have to use the with connection statement. In my rest connection I use the authentication scheme basic with an username and password. I need to know how to write this scheme in the with connection!?!?

I loaded the normal rest conn table and instead of the conn string I used a dummy conn. In addition I add (FROM JSON (wrap on) "root" PK "__KEY_root") to the FROM Clause. Thereafter the with connection statement. Here is an example of what I  reached so far:

LIB CONNECT TO 'Dummyconnection';

RestConnectorMasterTable:
SQL SELECT
"__KEY_reportAssessments_v2_0s",
(SELECT
"ALL_FIELDS",
"__FK_ReportAssessment_v2_0"
FROM "ReportAssessment_v2_0" FK "__FK_ReportAssessment_v2_0")
FROM XML "reportAssessments_v2_0s" PK "__KEY_reportAssessments_v2_0s"
FROM JSON (wrap on) "root" PK "__KEY_root"

WITH CONNECTION(
Url "$(URL)",
HTTPHEADER "Authorization: Basic $(username):$(password)"
);

Please let my know what I have to change, because it's not working now. Qlik support told me I could possible use this: Authorization: Basic <credentials>, where credentials is the base64 encoding of id and password joined by a single colon :.

Thanks in advance!!

Labels (5)
4 Replies
Mehrnaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What I had to use is different, but I had double quote around "Authorization" and double quote around the entire value of it. Maybe try to assign the whole value part of it to a variable and use it that way and see if it helps:

LET vAuthorization = 'Basic ' & '$(username)' & ':' & '$(password)';

SQL Select ...

HTTPHEADER "Authorization" "$(vAuthorization)"

Mehrnaz

JeromeHoen
Partner
Partner

I have the same issue and your solution doesn't work. It is so frustrating that you can't loop through URLs with a single connection if basic authentication is required...

Mehrnaz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi JeromeHoen, my authorization wasn't basic , so, it shouldn't work for basic authentication. I had to pass in bearer token and stuff like that and it works fine.

What would happen if you create a simple connection through the wizard:

Authentication SchemaAuthentication Schema

and choose "Basic" from the dropdown and in script, and in your loop, you only change the url or body (or whatever you need to modify o each loop) and run it? I haven't done that as my scenario was very different, but it's worth a try.

Best of luck though!

jptneumann
Partner
Partner

To do a Basic Authentication, it is necessary that the username and password be converted to Base64 concatenated the Username  &  ':'  & Password and then convert to Base64. The resulting String you then pass in the Header by WITH CONNECTION as follows:

HTTPHEADER "Autorization" "Basic $ (vBase64String)"

To convert to Base64, see excelent article at https://spivey.world/qlik%20sense/2020/10/08/base64-encode-qlik-script.html

It works for me and I believe it will works for you too.