Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwin
Master II
Master II

setting number format when the language is specified in the URL

Hi,

this is a follow on to my previous question re setting the language by specifying parameters in the URL.  i hope this is the rt forun for it.

this is my prior question:  Solved: Re: Locking a field selection using API - Qlik Community - 2039475

so where we are rt now, we open our dashboard using the URL pattern:

server/sense/app/99999/sheet/99999/state/analysis/language/fr

everything is fine, the menus are in French.  now my problem is that it appears the number format does not follow the Language.  i would assume that if Qlik knows the language, it should know that french separators for thousands and decimals are reversed.

the question therefore is having set the language, how do we tell Qlik Sense that the thousand and decimal seperators are DOT and COMMA respectively.  or is there a way to configure it just for the specific language?

Labels (1)
  • API

4 Replies
alex_colombo
Employee
Employee

Hi @edwin , setting language in that way will change all Qlik Sense labels that comes directly from the product. Will not change your charts titles, text and so on, same story fo your numbers. Numbers and date format will follow what you set into your reload script for DateFormat and NumberFormat variables. For managing this you have to dynamically set formats based on user language. User language could be a filter in your app and then you can read that filed values and change format based on that value. Format has to be changed into your expressions (for numbers) or dimensions (for dates) using Qlik functions like Num(_yourNum_, '###0,0'.) or Date(_yourDate_, 'DD/MM/YYYY')

edwin
Master II
Master II
Author

Hi Alex, thanks for responding

yes, we do translate everything based on a language selection - we translate labels, warning, even field names dynamically.  all our master measures are formatted via NUM.  what i am referring to is the fact that Qlik didnt go the distance - if weve set the environment language shouldnt that tell Qlik what the num format should be?
the reason i bring this up is we have multiple very expensive measure that has to aggregate millions of records and it is taking a long time.  not a simple sum but multiple AGGR as the user wants multiple aggr levels for one expression. 

we are one by one reducing all the function calls and NUM was in my sights hoping i can remove it.

we are also looking into a DM change but waned a concerted solution (both DM and UI)

hope that clears it

Or
MVP
MVP

Based on my understanding, since the formats are set during the reload, that would not be feasible. When Qlik loads a number, it creates a dual field with the numeric value and the string display (which is the format specified), and this is then used in the app. Changing the format on the fly would require modifying all of these dual fields (or entirely changing the way Qlik works).

Short version is, to change the number formats you need to either set them explicitly using num() in your expressions, or reload the app with a different set of formats.

edwin
Master II
Master II
Author

Hi Or, 

thanks for the response - that is what we have rt now, a NUM function with teh formats based on the language selected.

thanks,

edwin