Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sara_3
Creator
Creator

Alternate Selection

Sara_3_0-1649647160705.png

i have 2 filters ,2 KPI's and other objects on my sheet. my requirement is filter 1(Age) will work for both KPI's (count(age) , Count (age bucket)) and all objects on the sheet and filter 2 (Flag) will work for specifically only 2nd KPI (count(age bucket).
I tired many things but each filter was working for each KPI as an alternate selection.
Thanks.

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anthonyj
Creator III
Creator III

Hi @Sara_3,

Depending on how large your app is, there's a couple of ways you can deal with this: 

The easiest way - if you only have a couple of measures - is to add set analysis in each of the measures:

Count({$<Flag=>}Age)

If you add this to each of the measures then selections in Flag will no longer interact with that visualization.

The second more complicated way is to work in alternate states. If you have a large app and adding the set analysis to all measures would be too time consuming you can use this technique.

First, you add an alternate state under "Master Items"  (Let's say we call it: State B)

Now add a filter object and add your Flag column. In the properties of the filter object select your alternate State B. This filter object will now only interact with objects in State B. (Don't use the same filter object for Age and Flag as one will be in an alternate state)

The good thing about alternate states is that you can pass values from one state to another... Like this:

For your Measure in count([Age Bucket]) you add this set analysis:

count({$<Flag=[State B]::Flag>}[Age Bucket])

This will pass values selected from Flag into Age Bucket but because the object is still in the default state it still responds to all other filters. Just don't have the Flag column anywhere else on your canvas.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Anthony

View solution in original post

2 Replies
anthonyj
Creator III
Creator III

Hi @Sara_3,

Depending on how large your app is, there's a couple of ways you can deal with this: 

The easiest way - if you only have a couple of measures - is to add set analysis in each of the measures:

Count({$<Flag=>}Age)

If you add this to each of the measures then selections in Flag will no longer interact with that visualization.

The second more complicated way is to work in alternate states. If you have a large app and adding the set analysis to all measures would be too time consuming you can use this technique.

First, you add an alternate state under "Master Items"  (Let's say we call it: State B)

Now add a filter object and add your Flag column. In the properties of the filter object select your alternate State B. This filter object will now only interact with objects in State B. (Don't use the same filter object for Age and Flag as one will be in an alternate state)

The good thing about alternate states is that you can pass values from one state to another... Like this:

For your Measure in count([Age Bucket]) you add this set analysis:

count({$<Flag=[State B]::Flag>}[Age Bucket])

This will pass values selected from Flag into Age Bucket but because the object is still in the default state it still responds to all other filters. Just don't have the Flag column anywhere else on your canvas.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Anthony

Sara_3
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Anthonyj , I really appreciated your detail explanation. I tried both but 2nd one is better solution because i have many measures on my sheet.