Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rittermd
Master
Master

How to add additional spreadsheet?

I created an app based on a spreadsheet with 2013 data in it.  I now have another spreadsheet that contains 2014 data in it.  I want to bring this new data in so that I can compare year to year data. 

What is the best way to do this in Qlik Sense?

3 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Mark - if the columns are exactly the same as the other spreadsheet - you should be able to use the Quick Data Load interface to ADD DATA - and the data will be automatically concatenated with the exiting data model.

Please let us know how you do.

Please mark the appropriate replies as helpful / correct so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Comparing the data in the same chart object will require a new measure to be calculated if you want a visual comparison - such as Sales 2013 vs. Sales 2014. You can use what is called Set Analysis syntax to create the measure - defined within the chart object itself (using the fx option in the input box for the measure) - or by defining within the Master Items lists.

For example: Please check out this previous post and sample: In Qlik Sense how would you create measure to show ThisYear sales rev and LastYrsales rev

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Hey Mark - in Qlik Sense Desktop this can be done with the load editor or with the quick data load. The latter has the option to 'add' data.

Regardless of which way you use, you want the data from the first load and the new load to be combined into one long table (as if you had manually created 1 big spreadsheet with all the rows from both and 1 set of field headers)

The technical term for doing this in Qlik is called 'Table Concatention' .  To achieve a table concatenation you can force it in the load editor by preceding your 2nd LOAD with a 'concatenate' statement.  If you don't use the 'concatenate' statement , the tables will auto-concatenate IF every field in both loads has the same field name (case sensitive).  

So doing a quick load with 'add' will work IF every field is named the same and you have the same number of fields. If it doesn't work, they you'll have to open the load editor see what is wrong and use field aliases to cause an auto-contanation or force it with the concatenate statement.  It will depend on the situation which one to use... either way let us know what happens so we can help.