Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More

Deprecation of basic authentication for Exchange Online and Gmail

0% helpful (0/1)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Deprecation of basic authentication for Exchange Online and Gmail

Last Update:

May 8, 2024 2:49:23 AM

Updated By:

Daniele_Purrone

Created date:

May 11, 2022 11:05:50 AM

Google and Microsoft deprecated basic authentication for their email services in 2022. Both companies consider Basic authentication as an outdated industry standard, and thus they are suggesting its customer move to OAuth 2.0 token-based authorization.

On May 7, 2024, we introduced OAuth2 authentication for the Microsoft 365 email provider

What has changed?

Microsoft – Outlook: Starting on October 1, 2022, Basic authentication was disabled for Outlook, EWS, RPS, POP, IMAP, and EAS protocols in Exchange Online. SMTP Auth will be an exception and will only be disabled if it is not being used, when it comes to new tenants it will be a configurable parameter disabled by default. Meaning that applications that already use SMTP Auth won’t be affected by these changes and users who want to keep using SMTP Auth will be able to do it. (Source)

Google – Gmail: Starting with May 30, 2022, Google no longer supports Basic authentication and “Less secure app access” option will disappear from the google account management console if it’s not being used. (Source)

What are Qlik's plans for the future?  

Both Google and Microsoft have restrictive rate limits in play for their cloud services.
For that reason, Qlik recommends using a bulk e-mail service such as Sendgrid, Mailchimp, or Mailgun. These services provide purpose-built solutions to handle the volume alerting and reporting solutions produce.

On May 7, 2024, we introduced OAuth2 authentication for the Microsoft 365 email provider. Keep Microsoft's API limits in mind before choosing your email provider. This includes requests per minute, concurrent requests, and size restrictions. Example: a capability such as Tabular Reporting can create large files as part of its reporting job creation, which may exceed Microsoft's service limits.

Qlik is currently investigating OAuth2 as an authorization scheme for SMTP from bulk mail solutions.

Want to know more about these changes?

Deprecation of Basic authentication in Exchange Online (Microsoft)
Less secure apps & your Google Account (Google)

Related Content:

Tutorial: use Sendgrid bulk email service SMTP with Qlik Cloud Services and Qlik Application Automat... 

Labels (2)
Comments
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @SDT 

Please let our Product Team know by voting on the currently active idea and leaving a comment where you can. What you sent me here is valuable feedback! I'll also be forwarding this internally of course, but the most effective method is the idea.

All the best,
Sonja 

junpei_liang
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on OAuth2?

SDT
Creator
Creator

I asked the same question of Brendan Grady at a training session a few months back.

Still not Oath2. Makes all subscription services non-existent and useless to our company.

Our contract is up this fall and we need to consider other options.

@Sonja_Bauernfeind - Any update?

junpei_liang
Contributor
Contributor

@SDT 

I completely agree; we cannot risk our company's security by using basic authentication, especially for reports that might contain sensitive data.

David_Friend
Support
Support

I'll ask our R&D team if they have any update on this (they are in Italy so don't expect a reply today though)

David_Friend
Support
Support

@Ruggero_Piccoli any comment on this is welcome!

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

@David_Friend At the moment (February 2024) Qlik NPrinting supports only basic authentication. I think it need to be managed as a new feature request.

GMail has a rate limitation about bulk email delivering also before removing the support for the simple authentication, as anti-spam rule, so it was not useful to deliver Qlik NPrinting reports. At least the free version of the Google SMTP server. 

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

To follow up on Ruggero's comment: An active idea exists for Qlik CloudoAuth authentication for SMTP on SaaS Please vote on this idea and leave your comment directly there.

SDT
Creator
Creator

@Sonja_Bauernfeind  - When I click that link it takes me to a login page for 'pendo feedback'. How do I get an account there?

Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello @SDT 

The authentication gets stuck sometimes.

EDIT:

Click Suggest a Feature before you get started.

Sonja_Bauernfeind_0-1708441486811.png

After this, search for: oAuth authentication for SMTP on SaaS.

All the best,
Sonja 

Version history
Last update:
‎2024-05-08 02:49 AM
Updated by: