cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FranciscoQ
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Automation for backing up published apps: Variable with a version number

Hi, I already created an automation for backing up apps in GitHub, when they are published into Managed Spaces.

I created a variable in the automation workflow with the date of publication, but I also want to create a variable with a version number.

Ex...

In GitHub, each commit with a different name:

SALES, 6/22/2022, Version: "2"

SALES, 10/15/2022, Version: "3".

Maybe that's possible, but I didn't figure out how to do it... an important detail is that it has to be incremental for the same app, if I publish let's say, Finance APP for the first time then:

FINANCE, 12/01/2022, Version: "1"

SALES, 12/01/2022, Version: "4"

I would appreciate any advice, Thanks!

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PietMichielRappelet
Former Employee
Former Employee

hi @FranciscoQ 

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Is this a feature in github you want to use or do you want to keep somehow track of a version number in automations and increase the number based on some criteria? 

On the latter, you could use a table in github, sql, airtable, excel or any other tool to keep track of the app id and the latest version number. Or even in a variable in your app. With automations, you can extract the latest version number from the source you use and increase this. 

There is no way today to store global variables that are persistent cross automation runs, so an external table is to be used.

hope this helps

kind regard. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PietMichielRappelet
Former Employee
Former Employee

hi @FranciscoQ 

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Is this a feature in github you want to use or do you want to keep somehow track of a version number in automations and increase the number based on some criteria? 

On the latter, you could use a table in github, sql, airtable, excel or any other tool to keep track of the app id and the latest version number. Or even in a variable in your app. With automations, you can extract the latest version number from the source you use and increase this. 

There is no way today to store global variables that are persistent cross automation runs, so an external table is to be used.

hope this helps

kind regard.