Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spiller
Contributor III
Contributor III

Best way to load and distribute reports in NPrinting

Dear all,

For a project within my work I need to generate an NPrinting report. I have experience in Qlik View, but NPrinting is new for me. Also my direct Qlik colleagues have not done that much yet in NPrinting.

The goal of the NPrinting report is that users can easily get a status overview of their project on a weekly base or on demand. Couple of questions from my side:

1. Does the qvw need to be a newly created one and/or can it also be an existing one with additional sheet where the new reporting setup is included? What are the pros / cons? 
  2. The wish within the user story is to have it on demand, but can the source qvw be reloaded then via the on demand request or something similar? 
  3. How can I filter the report in the distribution so that user x and y only get the projects in the report that they're responsible for?

Thanks,

Spiller

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I suggest you to start by reading the official help site at https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2020/Content/NPrinting/Introduction/Introduction.htm. There are a getting started tutorial and also videos for each main feature.

About your question:

1. You can use already existing QVWs and connect them with Qlik NPrinting. This is fast. We suggest to develop QVWs for reporting so you can optimize them by loading only the data that you need for reporting and create only the object you need for reporting. Similar optimizations speed up the report generation process. We also suggest to use QVWs from a QlikView server but you can use also local QVWs. 
  2. Qlik NPrinting 17+ supports On-Demand reports generation (refer to the help site for more details) but cannot run QVWs reloads. 
  3. This is already explained in details on the help site so please read it there because it is a complex document. In short you can create filters and associate them, for example, to users.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I suggest you to start by reading the official help site at https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2020/Content/NPrinting/Introduction/Introduction.htm. There are a getting started tutorial and also videos for each main feature.

About your question:

1. You can use already existing QVWs and connect them with Qlik NPrinting. This is fast. We suggest to develop QVWs for reporting so you can optimize them by loading only the data that you need for reporting and create only the object you need for reporting. Similar optimizations speed up the report generation process. We also suggest to use QVWs from a QlikView server but you can use also local QVWs. 
  2. Qlik NPrinting 17+ supports On-Demand reports generation (refer to the help site for more details) but cannot run QVWs reloads. 
  3. This is already explained in details on the help site so please read it there because it is a complex document. In short you can create filters and associate them, for example, to users.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Spiller
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Ruggero,

Thanks. So for the reload of the data within the QVD it will always need to go via the Qlikview side.? That can't be triggered via NPrinting?

Regards,

Spiller

Spiller
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

One more question: Can On Demand be triggered for a QVW that's not visible for the end user at the front end? And how to link that on demand report then to the correct front end dashboard?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Spiller 

NPrinting does not have a qvw reload functionality so qvw reload needs to be handled by QlikView side

Now I am not sure about QlikView OnDemand and I have no environment to test this, but in Qlik Sense you can build app which you can use as UI/selection app for your OnDemand NPrinting reporting. That app should maintain the same associations between all fields you are wanting to use as filter selections so whatever you are selecting in your app is possible to be selected in the app where NPrinting report comes from. With Qlik Sense that selection gets passed via api to the source app based on connection used in report so there is no need to link it in anyway. In QlikView though it may be different technology used and I cannot guarantee if it will work. 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.