cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vmahmomo
Contributor
Contributor

Can we assign role to a group in Nprinting

I am trying to assign Roles to a Group not to individual users in Nprinting and not able to see any option.

it is a very basic requirement and hard to believe that this functionality does not exist in Nprinting that is the reason asking this question.

Can someone please share some knowledge how to assign roles to a Group in Nprinting.

Thanks,

Mohsin

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Frank_S
Support
Support

Yes,

To connect to existing and custom NPrinting Security Roles to AD Groups, check below:

Additional role filters field

• Create An Active Directory Distribution Group for each corresponding NPrinting Security group that you want to connect to. This group MUST be named identically.to your NPrinting Role ie: if your customer NP security role is call NPRole then create an AD group called NPRole
  • In your NPrinting LDAP import, use the Additional role filter field to connect your AD Group to the NPrinting Security role
  • Remember to add your intended NPrinting users to this AD Group

Example NPrinting Security Role syntax:

The first filter below connects the LDAP import to the default “User” and the custom “NPRole” NPrinting security roles:

Replace "NPRole" with whichever custom role or default role you wish to connect to.

• Single Role filter syntax (CN=User)
• Multiple Role filter syntax: (|(CN=NPRole)(CN=User))

For more information about the LDAP import process have a look at the following articles:

AD syntax is absolutely critical and must be accurate. We strongly urge you to work with your AD team to ensure your NP LDAP import entry attributes, connection path and syntax is accurate.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Lucas_Gatling
Support
Support

Mohsin,

Roles are only assigned at the User level. Groups in Nprinting are nothing more than Distribution Lists. 

If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution.
vmahmomo
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for the information Lucas, I have different groups which i am importing them from Active directory.

In Nprinting once the user is imported there is no way he can receive any report bursting from Qlik until a role is assign.

I have more than 600 users in sales who are members of Sales group but want to assign a role to this Sales group so that i dont have to go each 600 users one by one to assign a role.

Can we assign a role to a Distribution list / group in Nprinting?

Frank_S
Support
Support

Yes,

To connect to existing and custom NPrinting Security Roles to AD Groups, check below:

Additional role filters field

• Create An Active Directory Distribution Group for each corresponding NPrinting Security group that you want to connect to. This group MUST be named identically.to your NPrinting Role ie: if your customer NP security role is call NPRole then create an AD group called NPRole
  • In your NPrinting LDAP import, use the Additional role filter field to connect your AD Group to the NPrinting Security role
  • Remember to add your intended NPrinting users to this AD Group

Example NPrinting Security Role syntax:

The first filter below connects the LDAP import to the default “User” and the custom “NPRole” NPrinting security roles:

Replace "NPRole" with whichever custom role or default role you wish to connect to.

• Single Role filter syntax (CN=User)
• Multiple Role filter syntax: (|(CN=NPRole)(CN=User))

For more information about the LDAP import process have a look at the following articles:

AD syntax is absolutely critical and must be accurate. We strongly urge you to work with your AD team to ensure your NP LDAP import entry attributes, connection path and syntax is accurate.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
vmahmomo
Contributor
Contributor
Author

HI Frank, thanks for all detail but my requirement is very simple.

In Nprinting there is default role called "Users" i need to assign this role to a all users in Nprinting users list. or

i need to assign in this default role "Users"  to a group called "Sales_AD"

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @vmahmomo ,

@Frank_S has given you available options. How you use them is up to you. 

In my opinion since you already have group called Sales_AD you could create role in NPrinting called Sales_AD and assign to it the same privileges as User Role, then follow steps Frank has given you.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Managing-roles....

The only thing I cannot test at the moment is if it is possible to use the same AD group for role and for group in NPrinting - @Frank_S  - are you able to comment on that?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi again,

My answer is the same

Btw, the default NP security role is called 'User' not Users

You will require a distribution group call "User" and add whichever domain users to that group that are members of your Sales_AD distribution group.

Or

Create a custom NP security role in NPrinting called Sales_AD and apply all the appropriate permissions to that role. Then follow the filter rules that I shared earlier. Replace NPRole with Sales_AD in the LDAP import.

I am not aware of any syntax or other option that provides the ability to redirect an existing AD group to an NP security role with a different name as you are suggesting.

Perhaps someone else here can assist if the above doesn't work for you.

Kind regards...

Frank_S
Support
Support

Yes @Lech_Miszkiewicz

In the LDAP import, just use the same filter used in the additional role filter field in your additional group filter field.

That should do it (if I understand your requirement correctly).

However doing that might create confusion between your NP Roles and NP Distribution Groups since both will have the same name (but completely separate purposes). Just my humble opinion but I would name AD groups destined for NP distribution groups differently than AD Groups destined for NP security roles.

Kind regards...

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Frank_S  - thanks for that and yes - I totally agree with you. Separate AD groups for roles and groups would be better practice.

I only suggested use of the same group given that maybe @vmahmomo may not be able to request creation of another group in AD and replication of users who will belong to new group. It was just a shortcut I thought @vmahmomo could take directly in NPrinting without the need of touching AD.

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.