Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
namrata1691
Contributor
Contributor

Date variable not showing any value when used in Nprinting

Hi,

I have a variable vDate_PerStart in my Qliksense app for user input date . When I use this varibale in my Nprinting report as $(vDate_PerStart) or =$(vDate_PerStart), it does not show any value. Its really urgent and I have tried all possible ways to get the value for this variable.

Example, when a user inputs 13/03/2014 in the qliksense app for date field with variable vDate_PerStart, the same date should show in my Nprinting report.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks!

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Variable is a session object, so i am not sure how you wanted to use it in nPrinting unless you set it upfront (for example during reload) or by using formula as variable definition. 

If you wanted to use it together with OnDemand extension and have variable input reflected in NPrinitng report after value is typed in by user then it will NOT work, as variables are not carried across as part of selection in OnDemand functionality.

If that was your goal you need to workaround solution to use  selection on the field (for example data island field).

There is many workarounds to have a similar solution to what you did with variable input, but it all depends how you want to use it in your QlikSense  app with NPrinting.

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

btw

provide some more info like versions of Qlik and NPrinting, screenshots of what you are trying to do and what should be expected result, all relevant information like variable definition in variable overview screen etc... the more you provide the quicker you get a right solution

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
namrata1691
Contributor
Contributor
Author

"If you wanted to use it together with OnDemand extension and have variable input reflected in NPrinitng report after value is typed in by user then it will NOT work, as variables are not carried across as part of selection in OnDemand functionality."

What you wrote was exactly my goal. 🙂 Thank you for this!

But unfortunately I need a workaround then.  Could you please tell me on how would data island field be used for the same purpose? 

The qlik version I am using is 13.9.2 and Nprinting version is 19.0.4.0

attached are the screenshots for the variables used. These are the same variables i tried using in my Nprinting report by creating a formula first as $(vDate_PerStart) or =$(vDate_PerStart)

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

So it is quite straight forward:

Create data island field in your data model with dates so users can select value from it. This selection will carry across when used with OnDemand. 

Based on Selection from this field you can create definition of your vDate_PerStart variable like "=Only(DataIslandField)". Each selection on this field will then be reflected in your variable as a value.

the same principle was described in this topic by me:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/Variable-filters-in-NPrinting-V17/td-p/1347...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/Variable-filters-in-NPrinting-V17/td-p/1347...

namrata1691
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks. But I believe this will work for a single date selection. How about a date range? As the user needs to select a start and stop date and the same should be printed in the Nprinting report, through on demand.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Like i said it all depends  on what you are trying to do. When you mentioned variable you were limited to single value (one date) anyway. If you need 2 dates - say from&to date - then you need 2 variables hence 2 island tables with island fields