Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frank_Huning
Contributor II
Contributor II

NPrinting Upgrade fails during the "Installing Repository Service" step, and then rolls back

Hi,

I want to upgrade our nprinting server from November 2019 to May 2023. No I run into the above issue. After 15 minutes of installation it fails and generates automatically a rollback.

The installation log says:

"Failed to Install MSI Package"

I have admin rights on this machine. I have absolutely no clue what's going on. 

Maybe related to this is issue, is that I couldn't make a backup before I started the upgrade. I've got an error message:  "This app can't run on your PC" and "To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher"

My command: Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe backup -f E:\backup-nprinting\NP_Backup.zip -p "C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\pgsql\bin" --pg-password xxxx

This command worked in the past.

Is this something related to (an upgrade of) Windows Server?

Is the nprinting repository corrupt?

Regards Frank

Labels (1)
11 Replies
jpampillon
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi folks,

I was facing the same issues trying to upgrade from May 2022 SR4 to February 2024:

1. Trying to do the backup opening the CMD as administrator, going to cd C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\Tools\Manager  and then using the command Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe backup -f C:\NPrintingBackups\NP_Backup.zip -p "C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\pgsql\bin" --pg-password secretPassword was returning "This app can't run on your PC" and "To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher" and after that a message of "Acces denied" appeared in the CMD.
  2.  When trying to upgrade NPrinting Server, when it started to install the Repository Service it would give a message of rollback and I coudn't install, I tried several times, and the result was the same.

After verifying that the .NET framework version is correct (equal or higher than 4.6.2. as described in https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/NPrinting-Upgrade-fails-during-the-quot-Inst... ) and that I have plenty of space in the disk, I realized that the "Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe"  had size was 0kb (it was corrupt).

The solution was replacing it for one from another installation that wasn't corrupt, has the same version and same patch (in my case May 2022 SR4).

It have to be the same version and same patch, otherwise it will return an error like (this is from using "Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe" from a May 2022 SR2, which isn't the same)

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'NPLogging, Version=22.15.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f678dcebb7bdbf24' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) at Qlik.NPrinting.Manager.Starter.Main(String[] args)

Hope it helps.

Best regards.

Frank_Huning
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

yes, that was for me the solution as well. Spin up a new vm server in Azure. Install the old version of nprinting and copy the executable to the old nprinting server. Then the update works. 

Still strange that this file has a size of 0kb.

Regards Frank