I am trying to go through the on demand tutorials on my local machine. I have a licensed copy of qlikview, nprinting designer, and nprinting server. However, when I hit the test button on the sales with ajax button I receive a processing loop. Any ideas? Both the nsq files are added to my server service. I am current running the services through my personal user account on my computer.
To daniel - In my internal log i did find "INFO NPrinting.OnDemand.ServiceStarter - On-Demand service has started successfully". Please see attached screenshot.
To Jonathan - I believe my button is big enough. However, the 'x' and the 'remove all' button does function correctly. It removes it initially, but once I reopen the app, or switch sheets the report appears back in the queue. I am going to check licensing now. However, I am concerned because I am running the service from my personal account. Will keep you posted. Thanks.
Its fine, just ensure that you login to windows as the local 'JohnRamirez' account , open QlikView desktop and apply your qlikview desktop license (if you haven't already) .
Please confirm if you have done so.
Jonathan and Daniel - My Qlikview desktop licesnse is applied, and I am logged in to windows under 'JohnRamirez'. However I had an odd turn of events today. I went into services today and saw that I had a service called "Qlik Deployment Console" running. In the properties window > log on, it was set as a "local system account." I changed this to be set to JohnRamirez.
I then went into Sales for ajax and the "Excel Report Top 25 products" worked! However, I received a different error with "multidoc word report" and the "Powerpoint report with multiple pages". Please see attached screenshots.
Thats good. It proves you have on-demand working. The Qlik Deployment Console is a Qlik Sense addon (separate to NPrinting) . I'm not sure why this would have blocked on-demand. Honestly, these 2 products should not have any overlap. I'm not sure what happened.
for the 2 reports, i suggest opening up the NSQ in Nprinting designer and manually running the 2 reports that fail in on-demand. You might see additional errors to help fix the issue.
Thanks Jonathan. I agree I think the Qlik Deployment console was just a coincidence. Perhaps just giving the computer a rest for the night helped.
So I looked into my designer and I see that I cannot edit those specific reports. Additionally it looks like those reports do not have the correct path for the templates included in the tutorial. Please see the attached screenshot. I am going to try to move the templates into '%DefaultTemplateFolder%', or redirect them. Will keep you posted. Thanks.