cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fcecconi
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Qlik Sense Server Install

I am creating a new demo environment and I want to limit the number of servers being used.  I have a SQL Server for the database and then Qlik Sense and Finally Qlik NPrinting.

Can I install the NPrinting on the same server as the SQL DB?  Or can I install it on the same box as Qlik Sense or does it have to be on a box all by itself

thanks in advance

Frank

8 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Qlik NPrinting Server needs its own computer. You can install Qlik NPrinting Engine on the same computer of a Server.

Installing Qlik NPrinting Server and Qlik Sense Server in the same computer is not supported.

In case of a demo environment you could try to install Qlik NPrinting Server and Engine on the same computer of Qlik Sense or SQL Server, but if you experience some issue please note that this configuration is not supported so the first thing that everybody will tell you to solve the issue is to install Qlik NPrinting in a supported way.

Second buy installing Qlik NPrinting Server and Qlik Sense on the same computer it could be that the system will stop woking during a demo and this is not good. It could work or it could not.

At the end I strongly suggest to install it only in a officially supported way.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

---------------------------------------------

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
sri_c003
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

For a "limited" demo, you could install Qlik Sense and NPrinting on the same box, but ensure there is no other server software installed on if. NPrinting is power hungry, and also uses quite a few ports. So having any other servers could create issues in terms of ports and resource usage.

This setup would work only if your apps and reports are small. For a considerable size data, this could put your system under enough load to stall it.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Srinivas,

I have to disagree with you. NPrinitng is not really "power hungry", as it is not using much of the resources. What makes it very power hungry is the amount of stress it puts on Qlik Sense\QlikView server - but this is completly different statement.

In terms of putting QS and NP on single machine - you might get issues with version April 2018 ( I used to have QS and NP servers always on my laptop installed for all work i do (demo, community testing etc... In my case i have issues when trying to use NPrinitng console via link: https://servername:4993 on the other hand it works properly with https://localhost:4993

This can indicate potential conflicts with "hostname" and looks really bad during demo as rpc‌ mentioned above.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

There is also a dedicated help site page https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2018/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/Installing-nprinting-se...

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
fcecconi
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

My question is really can I have both Nprinting and SQL Server on the same box??

Frank_S
Support
Support

By installing any highly process intensive software like SQL server which may itself use up a significant amount of computer resources along side NPrinting which also may be potentially resource intensive, this will likely result system resource bottlenecks.

We strongly recommend installing the NPrinting Server and NP Engine or Engines on dedicated computers to mitigate any resource contention issues. Further NPrinting must not be installed on the same computer as the QV and or QS server as well.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2018/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/Supported-unsupported-c...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
fcecconi
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Frank

But it is possible, but only if each are not being used at the same time.  Like data loads in the morning and reporting after lunch.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

It is possible but we strongly suggest to reserve a single computer (physical or virtual) for Qlik NPrinting Server and, in case, an Engine. As IT best practice says to reserve a machine for a service.

After this suggestion you can install Qlik NPrinting Server and SQL Server on the same computer in the meaning that the setup wizard is not stopped by any automatic control. Of course the hardware requirements must be able to manage the whole workload.

Be aware that if you will have performance issues or other kind of issues in this configuration it will be harder to discover the cause and that the support team will ask you to reserve a computer to Qlik NPrinting Server and Engine as first troubleshooting action.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero