Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pierretim
Contributor III
Contributor III

SSL certificates for attunity replicate on linux

I tried to replace the self-signed certificate by certifcates delivered by the security department.  But it is not working, the only thing which is particular is that the certificate I received is signed by a sub-ca (intermediate CA) and not directly by the root CA. So what I did is

- copied the private key in agent-private-key.pem

- copied the received certificate in agent-certificate.pem

- copied the bundle (root-ca certificate + sub-ca certificate) in agent-ca.pem

- created the file agent-private-key-passphrase.dat with the passphrase of the private key

the agent-certificate is signed by a sub-CA. In agent-ca.pem I have two certificates: the root CA certificate and the sub-CA

but when I access the web console it shows that the connection is not secure and it does not prompt me to accept the exception.

My question is: is it supported to have a certificate that is signed by a Sub-CA (intermediate CA) as opposed to a certificate signed directly by the root ca ?

Thanks, Pierre

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pierretim
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Steve,

It worked (at least with IE and Chrome, with Firefox the root CA is apparently not known but I'll check with security).

So the process is;

copy the private key to agent-private-key.pem

create a file agent-private-key-passphrase.dat with as content "/clear:12345" (replace 12345 by passphrase)

copy the site certificate to agent-certificate.pem

copy a file with the list of certificates (sub-ca and root ca -in in agent-ca.pem

chown of the files to attunity owner (it will need to write to agent-private-key-passphrase.dat )

some useful commands:

* to verify that the passphrase is correct (in case you forgot it)

openssl rsa -in agent-private-key.pem -inform PEM -text -noout -outform PEM

* to see the certificate

openssl x509 -in agent-certificate.pem -text -noout

nb: if you do it on the bundle, agent-ca, you will see only the first certificate.

thanks a lot. I think the first time I did overlook something, maybe there was something wrong in my csr.

Pierre

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Steve_Nguyen
Support
Support

from the user guide :

You can replace the default self-signed certificates with you own, as follows:
1. Stop the Attunity Replicate Server service.
2. Create the required certificates using names that are identical to the certificates listed
above.
3. Copy the certificates to the ssl/data directory (<product-dir>/<datadirectory>/
ssl/data by default).
4. Edit the agent-private-key-passphrase.dat file as follows:
/clear:PRIVATE_KEY_PASSWORD
Example:
/clear:12345
When Attunity Replicate Server starts it will scramble the private key passphrase as
shown in Examples of the Scrambled Private Key Password.

===

i have not try the sub-ca , but from what you did :

- copied the bundle (root-ca certificate + sub-ca certificate) in agent-ca.pem  ,,, this sound correct .

===

- When you stop and start the Replicate service, and access the UI, what certificate it is using ? did you check the certificate information ?

- is your certificate match your URL comment name ? 

- did you get a PFX file from your security department ?

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
Pierretim
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi

Thank you for your reply

I made a new CSR and I submitted it to the security department, so I will receive a new certificate and also ca certificate. I will then follow the instructions from the user guide and let you know exactly the result.

In my previous attempt I could not see the site certificate from the browser, I just had the security exception. Also the private key passphrase was still in cleartext, i.e. attunity did not scramble it, as it would normally

I'll update this thread when I get the new certificate

Pierre

Pierretim
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Steve,

It worked (at least with IE and Chrome, with Firefox the root CA is apparently not known but I'll check with security).

So the process is;

copy the private key to agent-private-key.pem

create a file agent-private-key-passphrase.dat with as content "/clear:12345" (replace 12345 by passphrase)

copy the site certificate to agent-certificate.pem

copy a file with the list of certificates (sub-ca and root ca -in in agent-ca.pem

chown of the files to attunity owner (it will need to write to agent-private-key-passphrase.dat )

some useful commands:

* to verify that the passphrase is correct (in case you forgot it)

openssl rsa -in agent-private-key.pem -inform PEM -text -noout -outform PEM

* to see the certificate

openssl x509 -in agent-certificate.pem -text -noout

nb: if you do it on the bundle, agent-ca, you will see only the first certificate.

thanks a lot. I think the first time I did overlook something, maybe there was something wrong in my csr.

Pierre

Steve_Nguyen
Support
Support

great that you got it working and share the finding.

thanks.

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
cannot_touch
Contributor II
Contributor II

I hope it is ok to hijack this comment. Is there a way to use private key files without a passphrase? I tried to just inseart "/clear:" in agent-private-key-passphrase.dat but in the log files it says that an empty string is not allowed.

Best regards,

Artur

Steve_Nguyen
Support
Support

short answer to : Is there a way to use private key files without a passphrase?,,, no

cannot_touch
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi, thanks for the fast response, that helps.