Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S_Gegg
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Subscribe to a sheet - variables not considered, bug?

Dear Qlik Community,

I'd like to adress a bug in QlikCloud, where the "Subscribe to sheet" functionality does not consider the variables in the app.

Actually, I have a subscription to a page, showing figures for the whole year, and the figures of last month. The last month is set by a variable.

Unfortunately, the variable does not change in the subscription. In the app itself, I can see a different month than in the subscribed report.

My assumption is, that the subscription does not consider the variable - or: the subscription functionality does "freeze" the variables from the point in time, when the subscription is being created.

So what I have to do now is to delete the old subscription and create a new one, so that the latest status of the variable is considered.

Any other ideas, workaround, or ideas where to adress this "feature"?

Thanks

BR

Stefan

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amonjaras_c40
Luminary
Luminary

A way to test your theory (the variable is not reevaluated unless you open the actual app) would be to create a duplicate of your chart, substituting the variable with the whole formula in its expression(s), then subscribing to that chart to see if it updates.

As for it being a bug, since subscribed objects are supposed to be a quick way to get insights without opening an app, I don't know if it would be efficient (or viable) for Qlik Sense to reevaluate all variables in each app a subscribed object lives in, every time someone's home page is refreshed.

Not a solution as such, but I hope my comment helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
amonjaras_c40
Luminary
Luminary

Hello! Can you post the contents of your variable, please?

S_Gegg
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hello, thanks for your feedback. The variable would be as follow: 

vMonth=Date( if(networkdays(MonthStart(Today()), Today())<=5, AddMonths(Today(),-1), Today() ),'YYYY-MMM')

The purpose of this is, that the Month should not switch to the first day of a new month, but only after 5 working days. And in the subscription, the month does not switch at all. As I said, I have the feeling that the variable state is "frozen". 

Does this help? 

amonjaras_c40
Luminary
Luminary

A way to test your theory (the variable is not reevaluated unless you open the actual app) would be to create a duplicate of your chart, substituting the variable with the whole formula in its expression(s), then subscribing to that chart to see if it updates.

As for it being a bug, since subscribed objects are supposed to be a quick way to get insights without opening an app, I don't know if it would be efficient (or viable) for Qlik Sense to reevaluate all variables in each app a subscribed object lives in, every time someone's home page is refreshed.

Not a solution as such, but I hope my comment helps.

S_Gegg
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Thanks for your feedback. I was not aware that variables are only evaluated when the app will be opened. That brought me to some testing, also the one you were suggesting:

excerpt of my tests and results:

1) let variables already generate in the script and evaluate there: Even here, no change in the subscription

2) replace variables by actual formulas: only this solution would work, no idea why and where is the differenc to test 1)... unfortunately some work to replace all the variables, but at least it will work for the future... 

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. But in my opinion still a bug, that the subscription does not print what the dashbaord actually shows.. 

amonjaras_c40
Luminary
Luminary

From here, you can open a case, explain the issue, and see what Support answers.

If it turns out this is functioning "as intended", the next step will be to suggest an enhancement via Ideation.

Regards,

Angel.

S_Gegg
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

amonjaras_c40
Luminary
Luminary

Good to see it is at least a planned improvement!