cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaeldburt
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Changing service account on 3.1 SYNCHRONIZED persistence

Currently, the environment is running Qlik Sense 3.1 SR5, on synchronized persistence.  Also, the services are being run by the Local System account.

In attempting to upgrade to a later version and Shared Persistence, the installer prompts that the services cannot be run under Local System.

I cannot find anything related to 3.1 or earlier versions and changing the service account from Local System to a domain account.  The only documentation i can find relates to changing the account during the installation, before the services start.  I'm wondering if it can be done with an existing environment.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

I'd strongly suggest an upgrade to something released after 2016 😄

This is going to be from memory since it has been a while since I used 3.x and much less synchronized persistence. I'll chop up the instructions from https://support.qlik.com/articles/000049699 and remove the shared persistence stuff. Again, it'll be from memory.

• Stop all Qlik Sense services
  • Ensure permissions on the Program Files path (this should be provided by Local Administrator rights):
    • Installation path (default: C:\Program Files\Qlik)
    • Persistent data store: C:\ProgramData\Qlik
  • Ensure access to the certificates used by Qlik Sense
    • Start > MMC > File > Add/Remove Snap-In > Certificates > Computer Account > Finish
      • Go into Certificates (Local Computer) > Personal > Certificates
      • For the Qlik CA server certificate (under Certificates (Local Computer) > Personal > Certificates)
      • Right Click on the Server Certificate > All Tasks > Manage Private Keys > Ensure that the new service account has control
      • If using a third party certificate, do the same
  • Start the Qlik Sense Repository Database
  • Ensure that the AppImport folder used by Qlik Sense for staging app imports will be accessible by the new service account:
    • Obtain a precautionary database backup. See How to backup PostgreSQL database in Qlik Sense
    • Open a connection to the QSR database:
    • Open a Command Prompt
    • C:\"Program Files"\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin\psql.exe -h localhost -p 4432 -U postgres -d QSR -e
    • Note: If Qlik Sense is installed in another location, then the above path will need to be adjusted
  • Type in \x to enable extended mode on the terminal
    • SELECT "AppImportFolder" FROM "RepositoryServiceSettings";
    • If this path points to a user's profile (e.g. the older service account profile path) or other path which the new service account will not have access to, then run this style of command to update reference:
      • UPDATE "public"."RepositoryServiceSettings" SET "AppImportFolder"='C:\<newPath>' WHERE "AppImportFolder"='C:\Users\<old Path>';
      • Note: I think this is right. But my memory of this style of in-the-weeds setting from 4 years ago is murky
  • Ensure membership in the Local Groups that Qlik Sense requires:
    • Start > Computer Management
    • Navigate to Local Users and Groups > Local Groups
    • Add the new service account as a member of:
      • Administrators (if using this configuration option)
      • Performance Monitor Users
      • Qlik Sense Service Users
  • Now for all Qlik service (except the Qlik Sense Repository Database Service) swap the account over by using the windows services control panel
  • Start the remaining Qlik Sense Services
  • Access the QMC to validate functionality, preferably as a previously configured RootAdmin

From there, you're going to want to change the account / password used by the data connections which start with qrs (I believe that's the old format, it's now monitor_apps...).

On Shared Persistence builds, you need to do explicit stuff to handle certificate regeneration but I don't recall that being needed on Synchronized Persistence.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

I'd strongly suggest an upgrade to something released after 2016 😄

This is going to be from memory since it has been a while since I used 3.x and much less synchronized persistence. I'll chop up the instructions from https://support.qlik.com/articles/000049699 and remove the shared persistence stuff. Again, it'll be from memory.

• Stop all Qlik Sense services
  • Ensure permissions on the Program Files path (this should be provided by Local Administrator rights):
    • Installation path (default: C:\Program Files\Qlik)
    • Persistent data store: C:\ProgramData\Qlik
  • Ensure access to the certificates used by Qlik Sense
    • Start > MMC > File > Add/Remove Snap-In > Certificates > Computer Account > Finish
      • Go into Certificates (Local Computer) > Personal > Certificates
      • For the Qlik CA server certificate (under Certificates (Local Computer) > Personal > Certificates)
      • Right Click on the Server Certificate > All Tasks > Manage Private Keys > Ensure that the new service account has control
      • If using a third party certificate, do the same
  • Start the Qlik Sense Repository Database
  • Ensure that the AppImport folder used by Qlik Sense for staging app imports will be accessible by the new service account:
    • Obtain a precautionary database backup. See How to backup PostgreSQL database in Qlik Sense
    • Open a connection to the QSR database:
    • Open a Command Prompt
    • C:\"Program Files"\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin\psql.exe -h localhost -p 4432 -U postgres -d QSR -e
    • Note: If Qlik Sense is installed in another location, then the above path will need to be adjusted
  • Type in \x to enable extended mode on the terminal
    • SELECT "AppImportFolder" FROM "RepositoryServiceSettings";
    • If this path points to a user's profile (e.g. the older service account profile path) or other path which the new service account will not have access to, then run this style of command to update reference:
      • UPDATE "public"."RepositoryServiceSettings" SET "AppImportFolder"='C:\<newPath>' WHERE "AppImportFolder"='C:\Users\<old Path>';
      • Note: I think this is right. But my memory of this style of in-the-weeds setting from 4 years ago is murky
  • Ensure membership in the Local Groups that Qlik Sense requires:
    • Start > Computer Management
    • Navigate to Local Users and Groups > Local Groups
    • Add the new service account as a member of:
      • Administrators (if using this configuration option)
      • Performance Monitor Users
      • Qlik Sense Service Users
  • Now for all Qlik service (except the Qlik Sense Repository Database Service) swap the account over by using the windows services control panel
  • Start the remaining Qlik Sense Services
  • Access the QMC to validate functionality, preferably as a previously configured RootAdmin

From there, you're going to want to change the account / password used by the data connections which start with qrs (I believe that's the old format, it's now monitor_apps...).

On Shared Persistence builds, you need to do explicit stuff to handle certificate regeneration but I don't recall that being needed on Synchronized Persistence.

Hope that helps